Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Built my first 2 hives  (Read 2088 times)

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
Built my first 2 hives
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:58:34 pm »
Well I couldn't afford to buy pre made hives so I went and found plans and built my own.  Just happen to have a table saw and dado blade.

2 deep broods and 2 med supers per hive

Just need to finish the bottom board and inner and top cover

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Re: Built my first 2 hives
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:54 pm »
Looks great.  You can save a ton of money making your own.  I make mine after I bought one last year.  Just copied those.  I purchased a bunch of rough cut fir last year and plane them down.
You are what you think.

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
Cool this is number 3 lumber from Lowe's

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:46 pm »
Made me curious if there is a market for inexpensive hive kits

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »
TX
Have you got hand holds.  I couldn't see them but they will help when in use.  You home made hive bodies look better then mine.
gww

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
Looking good.  As Aroc said you can save money building your own if you got the tools and time.  If you can find a market then go for it.  I think it would be hard to make enough to compensate yourself enough for your time.  Woodworking has been a hobby of mine for years and most people don't realize the time that is involved in making stuff.  Not counting the expense of the equipment. :wink:

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:14 pm »
I have a jig to make the hand holds and yes they are cut in the sides

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:24 pm »
Yah making the box jig took nearly a day to get it perfect selling some hives would help me buy nucs 🤔

Offline OPAVP

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 11:53:28 pm »
Hi folks,
Did I miss something??
Where do you hang your frames???
Just wondering!!!!
OpaVP

Offline Jeff L.

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:04 am »
Hi folks,
Did I miss something??
Where do you hang your frames???
Just wondering!!!!
OpaVP

I was wondering the same thing, but just made the assumption he had them stacked upside down. Guess if they are already glued up he could use a router to cut the frame rests in.
Or if he doesn't own a router, cut the majority of it with the dada blade and finish up the corners where the dada couldn't reach with a chisel.

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 11:36:13 am »
Lol they are upside-down

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 12:33:43 pm »
TxTronik,
They look good.
Add your location to your profile. I suspect you are in Texas but even that is a large area with vary different climates.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
Looking good.  As Aroc said you can save money building your own if you got the tools and time.  If you can find a market then go for it.  I think it would be hard to make enough to compensate yourself enough for your time.  Woodworking has been a hobby of mine for years and most people don't realize the time that is involved in making stuff.  Not counting the expense of the equipment. :wink:

You people have got to have a much better wood source than I do. I stopped making my own equipment because it was cheaper to just buy it.

If you buy the 10 packs at the right time of year, you can get boxes for <$7 a piece, and you only get about a (medium) box and a half out of a $12 1x8. The wood for frames is definitely cheaper, but they're a ton of work.

There's definitely some money to be made making bases and covers though, as they're way overpriced. Probably NUC parts too, as they're more expensive than standard.

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 01:41:45 pm »
Each deep cost $13.98 (qty 1: 1x12x8) and each medium cost me $11.17 (qty 1: 1x8x8).  Total for all plywood was $15.00 but that makes the tops and bottoms for both hives.  I used the pieces that I trimmed off the 1xs to make the edges of the bottom board for bee spacing and frame the inner cover plywood like a picture frame. Ended up with 0 waste that way.  The total for 4 deeps, 4 med, 2 bottom boards, 2 inner covers, and 2 telescoping outers was and a big container of glue $145.

But I won't need glue for awhile lol

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »
I'm with CrazyTalk.  I can't get decent wood, let alone a better price than pre-cut.  Budget list price deep is $11.80 and medium is $9.95.  Assuming you got waterproof glue, you can use the big container.  Depending on timing and quantities the price at the door could easily be less.  I haven't purchased the budget, only the commercial, but the quality of wood is significantly better, I don't have to cut it, and the price is significantly less.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 03:24:34 pm »
I can't buy the lumber as cheap as I can buy the boxes already cut... maybe if there was a local lumber yard.  I meant to say a local lumber mill...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:36:46 pm by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »
My prices are from Lowe's I was going to see if I could get better pricing in bulk or. From a more commercial type supply house

The quality of lumber is definitely better than budget boxes

Offline TxKronik

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 04:44:52 pm »
Location added