Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of covers in SE QLD?  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
What kind of covers in SE QLD?
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:00:45 pm »
Hi,

I'm using mostly migratory covers, with raised sides, ventilation holes in the front and back, and metal on top of that. They work great.

What do other people use, especially in SE QLD? I'm asking because I'd like to make some more. I don't move the hives around - so do I need migratory covers? Do they need the top ventilation that they provide?

I've seen some lids which just look like plywood with cleats at each end. Sometimes the cleats are on top, sometimes on the bottom going past the front and back of the hive. Or there's just telescopic lids. I've never used either of these kinds except for nucs but the obvious different is the ventilation holes and the extra space above the top frames.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: What kind of covers in SE QLD?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:23 pm »
Hi Culley, I use the type you have in your picture and Parker Plastic lids which are just awesome. None of them have vent holes at all. They are in full sun and do well. I have a few with vent holes which I use as well.
Makes stuff all difference for me.

Cheers
Steve

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:36 am »
I use migratory lids as they allow ventilation above the frames even when using mats on top. The other lids you have probably seen are called telescopic which I also have some of but these cause the supers to over heat and in turn force the bees to sit at the entrance fanning the hives.
Shane

Offline Suncat

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »
I too use the migratory lids as you have shown, with the ventilation holes and sheet of tin on top.  They aid in ventilation (and when it is 41 degrees like the other day, any assistance would be beneficial) and they are easier to get off, especially if the bees decide to burr comb above the frames (I use a length of framing wire attached to two handles and pull it through from front to back to cut through the comb if this occurs).  I don't use hive mats, i have enough trouble trying to keep SHB under control, don't need to give them somewhere else to hide.

The lids are easy to make yourself, or you can buy kits from most of the suppliers.  I am seriously looking at the plastic Nuplas lids and bases now that they have 10 frame variety, a bit more expensive than timber but I figure they will last longer and not require maintenance.

my 2c worth

John
John

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »
I do not fix the metal to the top cover. here is why.

I was given a couple of full boxes once. the bees absconded, up and left. or they were killed off.
got them home to clean them up, ants every where. under the metal cover.
now my metal covers are all removable
the come off before we open the hive, no ants

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
I have large ventilation holes in migratory lids. Two slits about 200 x 25-30mm each end covered in metal fly-wire.Gives plenty of ventilation and light and you can see what the girls are doing - if they are building burr comb in the lid you need to get inside to see why.The extra light drives the SHB back down into the hive to be dealt with by the bees. With the large slits the bees don't fill the hole with propolis and block it off.

Now to stop the large holes letting water in when it rains I use corrugated iron sheets cut 50-75mm longer each end (100-150mm total)  to provide an overhang and cut the sheets 50mm wider than the lid so when you tighten the hold down straps it causes the iron to bow up providing an air gap for ventilation and keeps the sun off the lid. If you don't use straps then the corrugation still provide some ventilation but the iron will conduct some heat into the lid at the contact points.
David L

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:53:16 pm »
I use all migratory lids 0 the SHB can hide on the side of the telescopic type. The inner lids do help with stoopping the bees building comb - to some degree.

anything