BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Package Bees Straight to Foundationless Top Bar Hives?

(1/2) > >>

Daddys Girl:
I'm reading stuff here that suggests that you can't put the bees in to foundationless setting and expect them to get it right.  True?

I have a second package coming the week of the 10th, and I wanted to put them into a top bar hive.  Will they regress on their own?

Brian D. Bray:
Feral bees do fine without frames.  They drawn comb to fit there hive area.  I've put packaged bees directly into hives with srarter strips or foundationless frames had had them build exellent comb from the get go.  I've also had them do some weird things.  Repositioning the combs so they lie true to the frame usually fixes any problems. 

bassman1977:
I populated a TBH using a package of bees on Wednesday.  I didn't go in yet to see how they are doing. Maybe this weekend. 

desmondmegan:
i hived a tbh a month ago with foundationless bars. the first couple of bars where a bit off just cut the comb and straitened it out. once i got them drawing comb on a few of the bars it got easier..   

Michael Bush:
>I'm reading stuff here that suggests that you can't put the bees in to foundationless setting and expect them to get it right.  True?

Almost all the time.  Keep an eye on them.  If they don't, cut that first comb and rubber band it in a frame and then they will.

>I have a second package coming the week of the 10th, and I wanted to put them into a top bar hive.  Will they regress on their own?

Only if you cull out the larger comb eventually.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm#whatisregression

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version