Introducing bees to a TBH. Newbee looking for help

(1/3) > >>

GarlyDog:
Bees ordered.....check
State bee association.....check
Hive built.....check
Waiting with anticipation....check

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Can someone point me to a link the describes the process of introducing a purchased package of bees into a TBH?

Robo:
I'm not sure your going to find any instructions for installing packages into a TBH.  Should be similar to installing into a Langstroth.  I would recommend watching Beemasters video on package installing.  Especially the part on opening the side of the container instead of shaking them out through the little hole.  Easier on both you and the bees.  At this point I would just figure out how you will attach the queen cage to the top bars and how you will feed then syrup.  Other than that it seems like you got most of the stuff lined up.

ooptec:
Wait till late afternoon as sun is going down.

Dump 'em in.    lol

No need to be fancy or anything to worry about.

Remove enuf TB's so one end is open, invert the pkg. into the hole and rap sharply so they all go in. If a few stragglers don't make it don't worry, just drop the container near the entrance and by dark they will find their way in.

I presume since you are a newbee that you wouldn't have any comb or anything laying around but don't worry it'll be just like them moving into a new tree.    lol

Tape or tie or whatever the queen to a TB near the center so she is inside the hive and feed 1:1 sugar : water.

I just throw a couple of the frame style feeders so they sit on the bottom inside and let them bee for a couple of days. Any kind of feeder even the baggie in the bottom inside and then w/a razor knife put a few slits in it.

Check to make sure queen has been released in 2 days as she has been w/them for a few extra getting ready and on the trip to you. If not out then just dig away at a the candy plug till is only a little left and is holed (hole going right thru) If it takes another day for them to clean it out so she gets out n.p.

Zit poof and you are now a beekeeper. I'd continue feeding the 1:1 syrup till they won't want it anymore.

Cheers 

peter

P.S. follow googlepagesTBH link below name for pics of when I installed mine.

Kirk-o:
I think the Beemaster has a video on this site on installing a package of bees I'm sure youtube does also
kirko

GarlyDog:
Perfect.  Thank you.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version