Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not using feeders  (Read 1506 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Not using feeders
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:28:59 am »
Okay, we have not had a very cold winter, so being we have a warm stretch I have had a feeder out with a 2:1 mix.  Neither hive has paid any attention to it.  They are foraging, all there could be at this time is tree pollen.  Should I go a 3:1 or 4:1?  I thought that in the spring a lower mix so they start the build. 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Not using feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:43 am »
My bees did not touch the feed either and they are foraging on something else also.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:35:07 am »
If they still have honey and/or sugar in the hive but no pollen, they will primarily forage for the pollen.  The protein is, after all, what they need for brood buildup this time of year. 
I am also of the thinking that workers are 'geared' to do certain jobs at certain times of the year.  Late winter/early spring bees are geared to find pollen since natural sources of nectar are rare or nonexistent this time of year.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:15:44 am »
My bees are collecting pollen and nectar from Maple trees. I doubt they would take sugar water. That will stop soon and then I will start feeding sugar water. They now have lots of pollen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:26 am »
It?s -6 here with a high of 9.  :sad:
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:00:12 pm »
Jack we have the potential for a lot of winter yet.  Take a peak with a flashlight on one of these + 50% days and make sure they have enough honey.  Replace dry sugar if needed.  Let nature take its course with the pollen.  I see the filbert peckers are out so....

Since they are probably starting to raise brood, and if our weather stays mild, they may need feeding.  They'll take it when they want it.  If they are hungry they'll get into any mix you put out.

And, I am putting my YJ queen traps out early too.  I have not seen one yet, but this warmer weather may bring them out early.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 01:38:47 pm »
The instant pollen is available that is what they will go for.  Honey last for ever but pollen degrades rather quickly so if fresh pollen is available they will grab it and dump the old.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:59:31 am »
Okay, we have not had a very cold winter, so being we have a warm stretch I have had a feeder out with a 2:1 mix.  Neither hive has paid any attention to it.  They are foraging, all there could be at this time is tree pollen.  Should I go a 3:1 or 4:1?  I thought that in the spring a lower mix so they start the build.
The beeks in my local club (Charlotte NC) feed 2:1 or heavier in the fall, and 1:1 or lighter (I sometimes use 2:3) for build-up stimulation in spring.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:16:15 am »
So far no filberts here Kathy, the alders and in full what-ever you call it.  There is some heather blooming too. 

Once the maples start to bloom I won't be as worried.  I lost 2 hives last year in early spring/late winter due to not enough honey reserves....and I wasn't checking close enough so being more careful this year.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 01:36:42 pm »
and I wasn't checking close enough so being more careful this year.

Yup.  good year for it.  I think there will be a lot of late winter/early spring losses because the weather has been warm enough for them to go through stores.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.