ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Mice

(1/4) > >>

jalentour:
I'm having a real problem with mice this year.

They are eating wire insulation off the ZTR and other vehicles.  I have found nests in my tractor and SXS.  They are everywhere, basement, barn, sheds, and equipment!

I had limited luck with the 5 gallon bucket, mothballs, predator urine, concrete dust, plaster of paris dust, and regular mouse traps.  Anybody have anything that works routinely short of poison?

Skeggley:
Cats, sterilised of course.
I currently have rats, once they are destroyed then the mice will move back in. Not sure which is worse. Possibly the poison.

CoolBees:
We use feral cats. We are in the country, so coyotes, owls, etc take their toll on the cats, and the cats take care of the mice, moles, rats, rabbits, ground squirrels etc.

These things run in cycles. About 4 yrs ago (here) the mice population went crazy. Our cats couldn't keep up. I watched one mother cat bring 17 mice to her litter 1 day, and I wasn't around all day. Home depot sold out of every type of mouse trap. We couldn't keep them out of the house. Haven't seen many since then.

This yr Great Horned Owls moved in, and now we are down to 1 mother cat. That's the way it goes.

Neutered cats wouldn't do us much good where we live.

jalentour:
Neutered cats wouldn't do us much good where we live.

Run out of cats would you? :grin:

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: jvalentour on January 15, 2019, 03:33:30 pm ---Neutered cats wouldn't do us much good where we live.

Run out of cats would you? :grin:

--- End quote ---

Yup. Life's tough in the country.  :grin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version