Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheap Ventilation?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Cheap Ventilation?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 11:57:37 am »
I think it is a mistake to assume increasing ventilation is a good thing.  Bees have to cool the hive in the summer and too much ventilation will prevent this.

There was water building up on the inside of the outer cover so I had to increase ventilation. The system I'm using now seems to be working. Also it is almost winter where I am
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 12:16:01 pm »
I use an Immerie Shim that has a small entrance knotch cut in it under the inner cover.  This allow adequate ventilation when needed.  The small entrance knotch is small enough for the bees to propolize shut or partially shut allowing them to regulate air flow just how they like it.

Just looked at some shims and they're about 4.50 each so I go to checkout and the shipping cost is upwards of $30  :cry:

Several places such as Mann Lake, Better Bee, and Perfect Bee sell Immerie and feeding shims that come unassembled as well as offer free shipping if you order more than a minimum amount. 

Dadant makes really nice Immerie shims that come assembled but offer free shipping if you order more than $100. 

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 01:52:48 pm »
I use an Immerie Shim that has a small entrance knotch cut in it under the inner cover.  This allow adequate ventilation when needed.  The small entrance knotch is small enough for the bees to propolize shut or partially shut allowing them to regulate air flow just how they like it.

Just looked at some shims and they're about 4.50 each so I go to checkout and the shipping cost is upwards of $30  :cry:

Several places such as Mann Lake, Better Bee, and Perfect Bee sell Immerie and feeding shims that come unassembled as well as offer free shipping if you order more than a minimum amount. 

Dadant makes really nice Immerie shims that come assembled but offer free shipping if you order more than $100.

I've looked at places like these and I'm not looking forward to buying $100 worth of shims just to get free shipping  :cheesy:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:08 am »
The idea is to combine your order with other supplies, not to buy $100 worth of shims.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 11:26:22 am »
You can buy some shingle shims at the local lumber yard and put them under either the telescopic or the inner covers to make an upper entrance.  Or notch the inner cover.  Two small saw cuts and a chisel...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 11:37:52 am »
Or notch the inner cover.  Two small saw cuts and a chisel...
How wide do you make the notch?
I made mine 7/8 of an inch, about the same size as the bottom entrance with the reducer on the smallest setting. I am going to close up the bottom entrance today.

The only way for air to get in will be whatever space is not sealed between the boxes and through the top entrance.
Tom

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »
The idea is to combine your order with other supplies, not to buy $100 worth of shims.

As I said before I am very cheap  :cheesy: I might get my dad to make some shims.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 03:05:23 pm »
>How wide do you make the notch?

My only entrances are the top entrance and I make it about 2 1/2" wide.  If it's just for ventilation and you also have a bottom entrance 7/8" would probably work fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 05:31:53 pm »
Ventilation vs Insulation
We run Paradise hive, polystyrene, the only ventilation is in the floor, the rest is invented, sealed polystyrene hive.
They do not condensate and winter better than our wooden hives with ventilated lids.
They also perform very well in summer where we can hit 40C often in summer, again only the floor vent.

Bee logic and human logic are miles apart, bees spend a lot of time fixing up what we think is good for them.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 06:08:00 pm »
When would I know if I have a condensation problem?
We had between and inch or two of snow last night. Temperature today is in the mid 30s, 36 degrees right now. There was an inch of slush on the top of the hive cover.

I forgot that I had blocked off most of the bottom entrance with a brick last week. I have about 2 1/4 inches of foamboard between the top of the inner cover and the telescoping cover. I have a 7/8 inch notch on the underside of the inner cover for both ventilation and an entrance.

There is no condensation whatsoever on the foamboard above the half propolized vent hole in the inner cover. There is no condensation on the bottom side of the inner cover. There were 20 or so bees moving around in the top box below the inner cover.
I am thinking that I'm good to go for the winter. Or is it still not cold enough for condensation to be an issue?
Tom

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »
When would I know if I have a condensation problem?
We had between and inch or two of snow last night. Temperature today is in the mid 30s, 36 degrees right now. There was an inch of slush on the top of the hive cover.

I forgot that I had blocked off most of the bottom entrance with a brick last week. I have about 2 1/4 inches of foamboard between the top of the inner cover and the telescoping cover. I have a 7/8 inch notch on the underside of the inner cover for both ventilation and an entrance.

There is no condensation whatsoever on the foamboard above the half propolized vent hole in the inner cover. There is no condensation on the bottom side of the inner cover. There were 20 or so bees moving around in the top box below the inner cover.
I am thinking that I'm good to go for the winter. Or is it still not cold enough for condensation to be an issue?

I knew that condensation was an issue in my hive because I lifted the outer cover and there was a bunch of water dripping down. I think someone posted something on this thread where it said that below 30 is where ventilation is really needed. Dont quote me on it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 09:07:08 am »
I have about 2 1/4 inches of foamboard between the top of the inner cover and the telescoping cover.
When you do that you lose the protection of the telescoping cover from wind blowing the cover off.  Put the insulation on top of the cover with a brick or rock.  Keep the telescoping cover on top of the inner cover with the side flanges locking it on.
Moisture problems show up when mold appears on the frames or you lose a hive because water dripped on the cluster.  These problems have all been solved locally.  One benefit for a local bee club.  Something as simple as tipping the hive solves the problem.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it