Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive crash.  (Read 4719 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Hive crash.
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2019, 12:07:30 pm »

Researchers have been trying to breed varroa-resistant mites,

Huh, what the heck is this?

I quoted so I dared not change their words. I think we all understand their meaning?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »

[ quoting Van
2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:43:49 pm ?
Update, although I was quick to open, inspect, reduce entrance to 3/4 inch and close the hive, only taking 2-3 minutes, the weak hive was discovered and is now being robbed.  Now bees are all over the entrance.  Not a good way to end my day.  Already sundown so soon bees will be back to their hives.
Van
quote author=Ben Framed link=topic=52909.msg475263#msg475263 date=1569994061]
Mr. Van: sorry for your loss. I would recommend treating all your hives ASAP as the robbers are  sure to take these parasites back to their home hives.. Thanks for all the pictures and commentary. A real eye opener once again for me as I remember what Member went through last season. Beeboy01 also.   
May you find blessing out of the ashes.
Phillip

Mr Van, let me  reemphasize the importance of treating the rest of your hives for mites immediately.
Phillip

TOP STORIES ENVIRONMENT
Beekeepers battle mites with technology
?According to Papendieck, bees easily transmit the mite to other beekeepers' hives in what apiarists call robbery.
"It happens when certain colonies are being robbed by other bees. Large numbers of bees from different colonies attack weak hives and steal their stocks. At the same time, parasites and diseases are exchanged", he says.
Researchers have been trying to breed varroa-resistant mites, but so far they haven't had much success.?
[/quote]

Good advice, yes, treat as the robbers carry the hitch hikers back to new hives.  Thanks Phil
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2019, 03:30:59 pm »
Your welcome Mr Van. I had reasoned that you had probably done this, but in the case that a newer beekeeper, which may have the same unpleasant experience in the future, would not only learn from your very informing information, but also be reminded of the importance of protecting the remaining hives from the hitchhiking mites, as timing is critical.   
Phillip
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:43:27 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything