Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Mating flight  (Read 967 times)

Offline billdean

• House Bee
Queen Mating flight
« on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:39 pm »
I took a 16 day old iffy queen cell, and put it in a nuc, with a frame of eggs and young larva with all the bee that were on the frames on May 8th. On May 14 I looked to see if any queen cells had been made from the brood I put in the nuc. On the first frame I pulled, I saw the new queen. The queen cell must of not been to iffy. I put the lid back on and have been wait for her mating flight. Not much activity until today (day 25) when the whole front of the hive was covered with bees and it looked like they where doing orientation flights. The problem with that is there has been no capped brood that is even close to emerging. Do the bee follow the queen into or out of the hive as to protected her from any predators that may be lurking that may want to snatch her up? I am sure I seen the queen inter the hive.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen Mating flight
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
Yes, sometimes the bees will go out with the queen.
I once caught the queen as she emerged in the middle of a swarm. I put her in a nuc but the bees would not follow her. It was her mating flight, not a swarm.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything