Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Questions about OTS queen rearing  (Read 4377 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Questions about OTS queen rearing
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »
I just checked my two hives and they're really light.  I had not harvested honey, wanting to get them through the winter. I'm feeding using the Mountain Camp method to get them through the rest of the winter.  Anyway, I'd like to try OTS queen rearing, but I'm afraid these bees won't have enough stores built up at the right time for starting queens.  Is it possible to give them syrup and pollen sustitute when they're rearing queens?  If so, what kind of syrup -- 1-1 or 2-1? 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: Questions about OTS queen rearing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:43:11 pm »
You probably won't try raising queens until there is some kiind of flow. By then you should have drones. When it warms you can start feeding syrup 1 / 1 is what people usually use for build up.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:56:51 am »
Okay, thanks.  I still need to know if pollen substitute is okay for the OTS.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:50:38 am »
Sure, I do the OTS and feed them pollen sub in the spring, I limit the use because of the SHB and don't feel they need it after the dandelions bloom, but that's my area, you might more feeding.
As far as the splitting and OTS, what your doing is creating a artificial swarm, you have to judge the strength of your hive, so build them up anyway you see fit IMO.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:04 pm »
Use the 1/1 syrup to simulate a flow, and give them pollen sub when they have nothing else. BOTH will help you get an early start to brood rearing. Once you start, dont stop until your sure they have a good flow. Typically, they will stop taking the pollen sub as soon as the real stuff is available..   Syrup.. some bees stop taking it, others dont, mine are usually gluttons, and will pack every cell in their hives with syrup if I feed them enough of it. I usually feed in spring with fewer holes in the jar lids. Enough to feed brood, but not enough to store away.
   You will get the BEST queens when the flow is on.. if they are taking pollen sub and syrup, the chances are its WAY to early to make queens, because you wont have drones yet..  If you are feeding because of dearth in the summer, thats a different story. If in Dearth, yes, syrup and pollen sub will work.
   I would however, like to see someone do a study on the queens produced from such a method compared to queens produced from natural pollen and nectar...   
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:59 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Now, with our latest cold, sleet, snow (about 3 inches today), freezing rain, etc., I'm just hoping I have some hives to work with.  Two days ago it got up to 50 f and I didn't see any activity, so I'm concerned enough to wake up in the middle of the night to think about it.  I gave them sugar (mountain camp method) when I found them exceedingly light, but maybe they went through it and I can't open the hive to check until next Monday or Tuesday.  If they're still alive, I'll give them syrup when it's warmer.  Meanwhile, my fingers are crossed.  Supposed to be in the low 70s Tuesday.  Texas weather!

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 10:03:37 pm »
I'm in Central Arkansas and have started feeding 1-1 sugar syrup with Pro Health and Ulta Bee Dry feed. When the bees start bringing in pollen they will stop using the Dry Feed.
The 1-1 syrup stimulates the bees wax glands and the Pro Health gives them Amino Acids.
The Dry Feed gives them Protein.
I'm waiting for this cool weather to break to see how my bees are fairing.
They were laying good and then wham here came the cold weather.
Suppose to be 70 degrees F Tuesday and 41 degrees for a high Wednesday.
I've got everything ready to start grafting as soon as I see drones.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:59:17 pm »
If you end up making post solstice queens and Mel splits you will need to feed pollen and 2:1 late summer and fall as well
Randy Oliver had a decent recipe on scientific bee keeping
For making your own

Helps if you have a cement mixer lol

the fish is the last one to know its in the bowl.