Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing uncapped honey.  (Read 2923 times)

Offline BC

• New Bee
Storing uncapped honey.
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
What is the best way to store uncapped honey. I sometimes get cross combing in my hive. I'll cut some of it away and extract the honey. I've been putting it in a ziploc bag and keeping it in the fridge. My question is, will it keep or should I freeze it ? I want to use it to feed back to the hive at a later date. Thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Storing uncapped honey.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:53 pm »
Freeze it.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:30:57 am »
There is no best way. DonĀ“t do that. Put the box under the brood box and bees will lift it upp and cap it. Later you exctract the honey from frames.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:46:46 pm »
Like Finski says, don't do it.

The reason that honey is uncapped is usually that it isn't honey yet.

The moisture content will be too high, making it prone to fermentation and gving your bees dysentery when you feed it back.  Honey is highly hygroscopic too, so it's going to draw in water at every opportunity, worsening the problem.

Cut the comb away as you need to, then put it in a tray in an empty super on top of the hive (under the roof).  The bees will clean out the wax in a matter of a day or two and finish processing and storing the honey properly.  You get a nice tidy hive and a nice bit of cleaned wax, and the honey later on when you extract.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
Freeze it and it won't got bad.  Can't ferment.  Then you can put the frames back to feed.

anything