Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost Queen after catching a swarm.....is this what to do?  (Read 4115 times)

Steve W (NY)

Lost Queen after catching a swarm.....is this what to do?
« on: August 03, 2004, 01:44:43 pm »
I caught a small swarm and somehow at some point, lost the queen. This was about three weeks ago. My inspection revealed a hive of lazy workers, with little honey, and no eggs. No sign of a queen. I have an idea of taking a frame of new eggs from an adjacent hive, shaking off the bees, and planting it into this hive, hoping a queen will be made, and that they will get motivated. Is this a good idea?

If not, is it a bad time to combine these bees with another hive using the newspaper trick? I've only done that in the fall before.

Thanks in advance
Steve  :shock:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Lost Queen after catching a swarm.....is this what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 02:33:39 pm »
Your method of giving them a frame of eggs with no bees is fine.  Just make sure they are freshly laid eggs.  I would suggest giving the queenright hive a empty frame in the middle of the brood nest, and then go back the next day, check for eggs and give it to your swarm.

However,  you should consider whether there is enough time for them to raise a new queen and still be strong enough for winter.  I'm not sure where in NY you are, but my bet is your pushing it.  It takes up to a month for them to raise a queen and for her to mate.  Then your talking another 3 weeks before her offsprings start to add to the colony.

You might be better of purchasing a mated queen who will start laying the day you get her introduced. Or just combine them with another hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
Re: Lost Queen after catching a swarm.....is this what to do
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 03:34:39 pm »
Way too late in the season to start another colony. Add thenm to an existing hive.

anything