Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Packaged Bees and / or Nucs ???  (Read 4170 times)

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
Packaged Bees and / or Nucs ???
« on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:45 pm »
I'm located on Long Island and I was wondering if there are any apiaries that are  within 75 miles of Mineola NY around the tri-state area that sell packaged bees and or NUCS. I already contacted the local beekeeping club.

This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: Packaged Bees and / or Nucs ???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:14:04 pm »
Nucs are a safer bet,  but packages are nice because you get to observe it from the beginning and there normaly cheaper
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline BoxerDad

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:46 pm »
going with nucs i'm new and want to increase my odds of being successful    :-D
This is the end result of all the bright lights, and the comp trips, and all the champagne, and free hotel suites, and all the broads and all the booze. It's all been arranged just for us to get *your money*.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:24:31 am »
I think the real question is what do you want them on?  Deep frames?  Small cell?  Top Bars in a Top Bar Hive?  If you want large cells in deeps, then nucs are the way to go.  If you want small cell or mediums or top bars, then you need to see if you can get a nuc with the size cells, frames or bars that you need for that.  Otherwise, if you can't, I would buy a package.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:57 pm »
I think the real question is what do you want them on?  Deep frames?  Small cell?  Top Bars in a Top Bar Hive?  If you want large cells in deeps, then nucs are the way to go.  If you want small cell or mediums or top bars, then you need to see if you can get a nuc with the size cells, frames or bars that you need for that.  Otherwise, if you can't, I would buy a package.

Do what?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:52:34 pm »
Buy a package if the bees aren't on the kind of combs/frames you want.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything