Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Taurus .380  (Read 3966 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Taurus .380
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:00 am »
I bought my wife a .380 for Christmas and my son bought me one. I like my 9 better. Anyway, I thought I had a problem with them. They jammed about 2 times out of five. What I discovered was that the metal casing shells I got for Christmas was the problem. The high $$ brass shells worked fine. Anyone else ran across this? My 9mm and my AR shoots the metal casing with ease.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Taurus .380
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:12:53 pm »
I have a Taurus that I bought from someone that did not like it because it jammed a lot. Probably metal casings was the problem.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:58:14 pm »
Well beeing that im much more of an expert on guns than bees imm chime in..

Steel casings arent good in and gun imo..  they are cheaper but the scratch the chambers..  also steel expands when fired as does brass, but the brass is much softer.

Imo just use brass ammo.  380 is always a little more expensive to shoot too..

Ya i have a taurus 380 too..  never had a single problem and its accurate as heck to about 15 to 20 yards

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
Ditto on stell cases being bad.  Most ranges I've been on don't allow steel cased ammo.  The Taurus .380 is a good gun.  Isn't it based on the 1911 design?  The old ones were, I think.  I don't know what they're selling now. 

I like 9mm for practice.  I bought a barrel the converts my Glock mdl 23 .40 caliber to 9mm so shooting wouldn't cost as much.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:52:09 pm »
I've had problems with steel as well. 
Sometimes it's just a good clean, others, it's the gun.
I run it in my cheap guns but anything I like I keep it to brass.
For a 380, I'd keep it to brass.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:01:24 am »
The case material shouldn't (according to the makers) have anything to do with extraction or feeding.  But it does, sometimes.  I would bet that the Taurus owner's manual tells you somewhere in there to use quality ammunition, so I would spend a buck or 2 more for brass. 

It's been a long while since I owned a .380 auto, but when I did, it frequently failed to eject.  One of the things I did to remedy the problem was to check my grip to be certain that I was not limp-wristing the thing.  Sure enough, that's what cleared it up for me.  That sharp, snappy recoil on those little beggars can reveal minor defects in grip and follow through very quickly.  Just one thing to consider.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:25:11 am by Hops Brewster »
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 11:44:32 am »
Hops,
You are absolutely correct on that one.
I had forgotten, no limp wrist on a 380.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
That's why I don't like semi autos.  I have a .380 that is very "particular."  It only likes certain kinds of ammo and not others.  I've never owned a "particular" revolver.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 02:32:58 pm »
I inherited mine, a walther. 
It's picky, got to be clean and lubed to be reliable.  Might be it's age.  I think my dad bought it when the 007 Goldfinger movie was released.
I prefer 9MM most of the time. 

anything