Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Osmia Babies  (Read 2867 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Osmia Babies
« on: June 08, 2022, 09:08:40 pm »
I've mentioned my native bee observation "hive" before, and this year I have some sort of leaf-chewing Osmia (mason bee) nesting in it, perhaps Osmia pumila, although without having seen the female I can't be sure.  This is the best view I've ever had of the actual larvae in the nest.  You can also see their neighbor, Mr. Earwig, who is often hanging around the empty tube above them, photobombing the picture.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Osmia Babies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 08:12:25 am »
That is pretty neat. Are there entrances from both the left and right? It looks like they are developing from the middle out to both sides.
 Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Osmia Babies
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 11:12:40 am »
That is pretty neat. Are there entrances from both the left and right? It looks like they are developing from the middle out to both sides.
 Jim Altmiller
The only entrance is to the left.  To the right you can see some old leaves from a leafcutter who started a nest two years ago (I think) but didn't finish it.  Interestingly, this mason bee didn't seem to mind that old material that was left in there, she just started her first cell in front of the old leafcutter cell. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything