Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you freeze honey before extracting?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Can you freeze honey before extracting?
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:53:29 am »
 Not going to get a real harvest this year due to some queenless issues. Was wondering if it's OK to take a couple of frames full of honey and put them in the freezer until I get ready to extract.
You are what you think.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Can you freeze honey before extracting?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:59:03 am »
YES. I freeze supers for a few days to kill wax moth and/or shb eggs if I'm not extracting the same day I harvest. Just be sure to warm to about 90 F., 32 C., before extracting, to make it flow easily.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »
X2
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
Good info to know

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:33 am »
Just so you know, freezing slows down crystallization but doesn't stop it.  If it is several months before you extract and the honey in the cells is from nectar sources that crystallize fast you may not be able to extract it.  If this should happen then the options are to crush heat and strain or feed it back to the bees in the spring for brood rearing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:00:58 am »
Brian,
Another choice is to build a honey heater, plans are on this site. You then place the frames it it and it will dissolve the crystals.
I have built 2 of them. Use the thermostat from a hot water heater. They are perfect for this job.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything