Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Putting Package bees into a hive  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
Putting Package bees into a hive
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »
So I'm watch videos.  Preparing myself.  I won't lie I'm nervous ... just watched a video where a guy just took out five frames from one end and set the box of bees down into it.   He didn't  have any video of going back and taking the box out and putting the frames in ... I'm just wondering why every body shakes and dumps bees if there is no down side to just putting the box of bees into the hive and removing it later

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Putting Package bees into a hive
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:33 pm »
That is they way it has been taught for a long time.
Try putting it in the hive and see what happens. Do not leave it in more than a day or so.
They may start building wax in it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
Remove queen and install her and cage between two frames. Set the bees down in the hive after removing 5 frames. Leave the top open so they can get out. Go back the next morning, smoke them, remove bee cage and install remainder of the frames. If some bees still in cage, set next to entrance with opening up. They will find their way in. Go back in 4 to 7 days and if she hasn't been released, then open queen cage and let her out. Be careful she doesn't fly away. If so, stand perfectly still and she will return to you or the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:22 am »
Beemaster has a you tube video on how he done it. I believe he removed the staples and wood from the side of the package then just gently poured them in. It's been a while since I saw it so that may not be entirely accurate.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:35:20 am »
I just popped the lid and shook them. Not sure if that is the right way but it worked

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:26:22 pm »
I would shake them in... but if you really insist on not doing that, then add an extra box on the bottom to put the cage in.  The cluster will go to the top (assuming the queen is there) and the next day (not any later than that) remove the bottom box and the empty cage.

Dos, Don'ts and some videos of installing packages:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:31 pm »
I would shake them in... but if you really insist on not doing that, then add an extra box on the bottom to put the cage in.  The cluster will go to the top (assuming the queen is there) and the next day (not any later than that) remove the bottom box and the empty cage.

Dos, Don'ts and some videos of installing packages:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

Thisshould work well,especially in a cooler climate like waverly.

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:08 pm »
So if I take an empty bottom box , I put the box of bees in that , opened up , and than another bottom box onto that with the frames in it .... where should I put the queen. ... I think I'm probably just going to end up shaking them in because that seems to just be the method tried and true.   

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:58 pm »
You would want to put the queen cage between two frames in the upper box. The other bees should move up to keep her warm and tend to her.If you are comfortable with it, go ahead and shake them out. Some are intimidated doing this, but it's not that bad. :)

Just be sure to decide on your feeding options and be ready with that when you install your bees. Not sure when you are going to receive your package, but if it's still cool and nothing in bloom, you will need to provide them syrup until they get established.

Here is John, Beemasters founder installing a package in his hive:                           https://youtu.be/5a4a-Tw-qFI

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 01:26:25 am »
I know a guy who keeps bees up the road and he doesn't feed his bees.  So initially I didn't plan on feeding mine ... the more I read and learn the more I think I should.  My hive kit came with an entrance feeder but researching I think the external top feeder with the jars is probably my best option.  ...  every video I watch or arrival I read someone's doing something different... I've stepped into this blind.  Not knowing a thing until I read beekeeping for dummies and joined this forum.  I just want to have an idea of what I'm doing and do it right 😉

Ty so much for taking the time to mentor this anxiety ridden newbie

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 07:46:33 am »
I know a guy who keeps bees up the road and he doesn't feed his bees.  So initially I didn't plan on feeding mine ... the more I read and learn the more I think I should.  My hive kit came with an entrance feeder but researching I think the external top feeder with the jars is probably my best option.  ...  every video I watch or arrival I read someone's doing something different... I've stepped into this blind.  Not knowing a thing until I read beekeeping for dummies and joined this forum.  I just want to have an idea of what I'm doing and do it right 😉

Ty so much for taking the time to mentor this anxiety ridden newbie

I would feed until they started capping some nectar. Once they are established you might not have to feed but to get them established you need to feed.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:16:13 am »
One other thing . . . .
Relax.   

There are lots of ways to do any single beekeeping function (splits, requeening, hiving packages, etc) and everyone will swear their method is the best. Bees are tough little critters and make allowances for many a beekeepers mistakes.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:14 am »
I'm just wondering why every body shakes and dumps bees if there is no down side to just putting the box of bees into the hive and removing it later

The only package I got had three combs started.  Why would they leave?  Because it takes a while to go from CA to PA and then to NY the bees already spent time with the queen caged in the box.  I just pulled the cork and candy and let the bees have at their queen that they were preparing for.  I threw the can of syrup away and gave them two or more frames of honey and away they went.  The hive grew to 5 medium boxes, two were solid honey and then crashed in August.
BTW the queen looked horrible to me.  Looked like a skinny virgin.  I don't think it was because it wouldn't be able to expand as fast as it did.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:24:49 am »
Shaking bees into a hive is a lot of fun.  Try it!
On the cool scale it's a 10/10.

Offline Simondsrach

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:08 am »
I know I need to relax ... I just can't help it ... I get obsessive.  This is something I've been wanting to do for four years and now that I have a hive in my living room and bees on reserve for may the reality of my lack of knowledge is setting in ... the internet is great ... endless amounts of information It's just all so different.   .... this forum is a saving grace I will tell you...
so my hive is a langstroth I bought a kit with two large and two medium.   Will I need to purchase more boxes ... one to enclose the bee package if I decide not to shake and another one to enclose the jar top feeder... or can I some how use the super and brood boxes I have as a feeder and bee release box ... ive got over 300 invested in the hive already... I will buy more boxes if I need to but I'd like to avoid the exspense until necessary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:48 am »
Install the bees in one box only. Feed any way you want, but with a package rather than a swarm, you do need to feed until the flow begins. No need to buy more equipment. The guy that doesn't feed probably catches swarms, buys nucs, or makes splits. Then feeding is not mandatory. With packages, it is.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 11:09:07 am »
Simondsrach
With two deeps and two mediums, you have enough boxes.  Just take the frames out of the boxes that you have.  A deep box to enclose the package(If you go that route) and a medium box for your feeder jar.

jvalentour
I would say 9/10 only because you need to wear some protection.  Standing in the middle of a swarm when they are starting to gather would be 10/10 for me.  No protection needed.

One other thing . . . .
Relax.   

There are lots of ways to do any single beekeeping function (splits, requeening, hiving packages, etc) and everyone will swear their method is the best. Bees are tough little critters and make allowances for many a beekeepers mistakes.
Agreed

Ask 10 beekeepers the same question.  Get 11 answers.  9 of which are correct(there's always that one oddball). 

Do what you are the most comfortable with.  The bees will do the rest.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:12:32 pm »
I've done all my shakes with no gear on.   It. Was. Awesome.   You'll do fine.   I'm betting you won't be able to stop smiling for a long time. 

+1 on the comment that you'll get a bunch of different answers here.   There are lots of ways to do things and it's art as much as science.   

Trust yourself.  Do what makes sense to you. 
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:20 pm »
The only thing that two out of three beekeepers agree on is.., the third one is wrong.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 03:20:21 pm »
endless amounts of information It's just all so different.
So how does one do dished?  endless amounts of information that's all so different.
jimmy

anything