Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: slowest member finally figured out how to post picture  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
slowest member finally figured out how to post picture
« on: June 12, 2004, 07:47:44 am »
This has given me fits trying to figure out how to post here but I finally got it.

Here are a couple swarm pictures from a couple weeks ago.

second swarm about 30 minutes late from a different hive.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 08:21:57 am »
Not to burst your bubble,  but some of us can't see your photos.

I think you may be suffering from the same problem Beth had (I think it was with community.webshots as well).  She finally switched to a different photo hosting provider.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 10:08:00 am »
Robo,

Did you check the other post "just a test"? I put a picture there as well. I can see both of them and thought I had it figured out. I am not sure what to do since they show up for me. Before I couldn't even see them.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 10:31:44 am »
I can see the picture, but Robo's right, I did have lots of problems with webshots. It's a server thing - has to be. I got so tired of people telling me they couldn't see photos, then they could, then they couldn't. Agrivating!! I switched over to http://www.imagestation.com and haven't had that problem once. It's actually a nice site too. Easier to upload, easier to look at and sort your pics, and nice options (like a way to design and have printed a book of your photos). I'm actually thinking of doing that too - getting a book printed up of my first year. It looks really cool (the sample) on the web site, and it was only about $35 for a book with 20 pages (about 60 pictures). I'd give it to my mom. :)

Beth

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 10:30:00 pm »
Yes, I looked at the test post as well and can't se it either.  I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, because you and some others can see it.  I can't explain it, but some of us, at least in Beth's case, could not see her images.  It is something to do with webshots.  I can take your link and directly view it through a browser,  but it doesn't show up in the posts.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 06:35:10 am »
I can't see it either. The reason it appears for you is that the image is "cached" on your harddrive, so the computer knows what is at the link the image is pointed to. As a result, instead of downloading it, it uses the copy already on your harddrive, to speed up the page download. For everyone esle however, it does't work  :?

Adam

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 08:16:57 am »
Adam,

I think it is something more obscure than that.  If I right-click on the red X and select properties, and copy the URL to another browser window, I can load the picture. Therefore the link is correct.  At this point it would be cached on my system too, but still will not load in the forum post when viewed.

It also doesn't explain why some folks CAN see the images, which aren't cached on their systems.

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 08:48:24 am »
Ahh 'cos after right clicking and getting the URL from the properties and then viewing the image (I was able to see it) and then using the browser "back" button, it was visible in the posting. But as soon as I refresh, it looses the image from it's local cache the image disappears again.

I've honestly never found a better site for hosting than www.pbase.com

They go out and out to make direct linking as simple as possible, even giving you various sizes based on the images you upload. They have never ever been down for as long as I've been using them, and they have a tremendous following amongst the amatuer photography fraternity.

Adam

Offline Lechwe

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 08:51:20 am »
I'm just going to find another site to host teh pictures. I can see them fine but if others are having trouble it just frustrates them and me when I want to show something or need help explaining something with a picure.

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 10:29:54 am »
I'll add two sites to check out for unline photo storage.

imagestation.com                               the one I use most offten.

photobucket.com                                  

a recent find which works out well for posting flower pictures
 :D Al

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 11:06:32 am »
I know just how you feel Lechwe. Had the same problems with webshots. We really shouldn't even promote their site to any new people in here needing a place for photo storage. I think I was one that mentioned it (maybe the only one). But they stink. You want to share photos, but you end up getting posts like this "can't see the picture".

Good luck with it all. You're doing great.

Beth

anything