Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundation question!  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
Foundation question!
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:39:39 pm »
I am in the process of buying a nuc with 5 frames.  The frames are wood foundation! I use plastic pierco foundation.  When I install the frames in my deep should I put 5 empty plastic foundations so I can have the stadard 10 frame  foundation? Will the bees accept 5 wood and 5 plastic foundations?

Thank you
-Rodni

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Foundation question!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »
Yes.  It might be tricky for them to start to build so maybe spray some sugar water on it.  What's the wood foundation all about?  The pop sickle stick method for them to draw comb?  They'll draw out the plastic if they have nothing better to draw on (meaning they would probably go for wax foundation or the wooden wedges faster than the plastic.  You shouldn't have an issue with the Pierce though.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:29:12 pm »
I think Rodni73 is referring to wood frames and plastic frames.

I have them mixed is in some of my brood boxes.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »
If they have nothing else they will work the plastic.  If they've been raised on wood expect them to build burr comb like crazy and wierd design on the plastic frames--it can be frustrating.  You may have to remove and insert other frames before they get it right.  Bees raised on plastic take to plastic much better.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:38:03 pm »
If they have nothing else they will work the plastic.  If they've been raised on wood expect them to build burr comb like crazy and wierd design on the plastic frames--it can be frustrating.  You may have to remove and insert other frames before they get it right.  Bees raised on plastic take to plastic much better.

I agree 100%, and have seen this first hand myself, but you don't know until they've tried.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com