Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mistakes We've Made In Beekeeping  (Read 2606 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Mistakes We've Made In Beekeeping
« on: April 29, 2023, 09:26:54 am »
I am starting this thread because of JPs good recommendation some time ago of starting a new topic describing mistakes we've made in our beekeeping experiences.. JP and Bailey had somehow trapped and lost 6 virgin queens within the bounds of a Queen Excluder and was discussing the situation. As these folks, no doubt we all have made mistakes; Would you like to share yours?

oops, sorry jp :-D

just wanted to poke ya a bit :evil:

all bs aside the excluder will stop a virgin!!
beware!

we may have made a mistake but the proof will help others to use excluders / with caution!
they can be very counterproductive.
Quoting:
JP
"Maybe we should start a thread about all the screw ups we've had concerning bees. It would most likely be a long winded thread. Its all good if we can learn from our mistakes. What's that saying", "If you aren't making mistakes you're not learning?"[/b]

...JP
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mistakes We've Made In Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 11:07:57 am »
The first cutout I did was in a grass seed barn.  I told the guy it was my first and I would not charge him anything because I was learning.  He didn't care.  Just wanted the bees gone.

Honey and grass seed are a bad combination + it was hot and it took us a lot longer than it should have.  By the time we were done, we were a sticky grass seed mess but we got the bees and the queen.

I woke up in the middle of the night with the sickening knowledge that we had not been paying attention when we put the comb into the hive. I went to check the next morning and sure enough, most of it was in upside down including the bit of uncapped larva we had found.  With more experience, I would have been able to fix things enough to maybe save the hive, but I left it alone and we lost it. In a few days, there were almost no bees left in there.  Absconded?  Killed the queen accidentally?  They didn't want to stay with an incompetent beekeeper?  :grin:  I'll never know, but that sure was a discouraging first cutout!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 12:35:12 pm »
I have made my share of mistakes. One that stands out to me was I had made splits and the bees were coming along nicely In 5 frame nuc box?s. I would move a couple at a time to another yard as the individual colonies built up. As time progressed it was Finally time to move the last colony as they were graduated to the stage of being ready to go.it was a hot day and the nuc had been in a location of the sun as well.

To my sad surprise, the comb from the weight of the honey frames had separated from the top bar making a domino effect which killed the hive during the trip. It was a total loss with drowned bees in their own honey. Now when going foundationless I use skewers as support for wax in the frames. As taught to me by Paus.

Phillip
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 01:51:06 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 08:32:21 pm »
Great idea for a thread. I'm sure I've made many more mistakes that I even realize I've made. Some of you have read about my failed attempt at a removal from a tree, disheartening to say the least. This year, while not technically a mistake,  I got too busy with other things and didn't get to my split like I'd planned and they swarmed away. So I get the benefit of the brood break at least
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 09:50:10 pm »
The first cutout I did was in a grass seed barn.  I told the guy it was my first and I would not charge him anything because I was learning.  He didn't care.  Just wanted the bees gone.

Honey and grass seed are a bad combination + it was hot and it took us a lot longer than it should have.  By the time we were done, we were a sticky grass seed mess but we got the bees and the queen.

I woke up in the middle of the night with the sickening knowledge that we had not been paying attention when we put the comb into the hive. I went to check the next morning and sure enough, most of it was in upside down including the bit of uncapped larva we had found.  With more experience, I would have been able to fix things enough to maybe save the hive, but I left it alone and we lost it. In a few days, there were almost no bees left in there.  Absconded?  Killed the queen accidentally?  They didn't want to stay with an incompetent beekeeper?  :grin:  I'll never know, but that sure was a discouraging first cutout!

Wow Kathy what a rough first experience! Probably made the following cut outs seem less of a hassle?

Phillip

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 08:04:28 am »
Lessons learned from mistakes this year...
1. Hold the frames of bees over the hive while inspecting, so the queen doesn't drop off into the grass, or bees don't fall on the ground, then crawl up inside your pants leg and sting.
2. Don't take too much capped brood from a strong nuc or hive, lest it loses population itself and gets over run by hive beetles.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 12:28:40 pm »
Remember, by sharing our mistakes we may help others from making the same mistakes. Thanks to each of you for sharing your mistakes by contributing here.

Phillip

salvo

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 06:48:54 pm »
Hi Folks,

Not mine. I have too many to *pick my favorite*, but this is my most recent biggie.

I have friends who store stuff inside their house, anticipating *working on it soon*.

Capped honey waiting for extraction: After a very few days, SHB or wax moths will suddenly *pop up out of nowhere*! Resulting moths eat woolen clothes. Fermented honey makes beautiful swirls in hardwood floors.

I'm guilty of bottling honey in my wife's laundry room. Make sure that gate is closed. I put a cafeteria tray under it *now*.

A Pal of mine called last Saturday at 6 AM (we're old). He put a five-gallon bucket full of honey in his warm den Friday night, going to bottle it during the day Saturday. The gate was not tight. FIVE GALLONS OF HONEY ALL OVER THE CARPET!!!! MY WIFE HASN'T SEEN IT YET!!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

I had nuthin'. I hung up on him.

Sal

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 08:32:27 pm »
:shocked:  :oops:

Poor fellow!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 09:48:06 pm »
 This one stuck with me, younger days. One double left to load in my pickup in an orange grove, in a hurry, don't need no stinkin veil as quick as this will be. Stuff the entrance closed, picked it up by the bottom board and on my 3rd step my foot sunk and twisted. Down we went, the cover came off when we hit and my face was staring into the top of the frames and a bunch of bees. I was very lucky, I just rolled away. Stings came as I was getting up, but none to my face.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 10:39:41 pm »
One of my worst mistakes was when a TV reporter called me about doing a swarm removal from the fourth floor of the Country School Board building. When he called I was on my way home because I was  feeling flue like symptoms coming on. I ended up doing it anyway. I had just built a Robo bee vacuum box but it didn?t have the pressure relief opening drilled out yet. I used it anyway. The swarm was huge.  It took quite awhile to get them all vacuumed up.
I figured if I they showed a few minutes of the removal I would bee lucky. They ended up doing a 15 minute episode on it. The next day my brother, in Pennsylvania, called and ask if I was the one on the his local news doing the removal. I was surprised it went that far.
When I got home and opened the hive, half of the bees were dead due to the high vacuum pressures. It was sickening. That night I fixed the bee vacuum. I was really glad the news crew didn?t follow me home and see that mess.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 11:54:36 am »
This one stuck with me, younger days. One double left to load in my pickup in an orange grove, in a hurry, don't need no stinkin veil as quick as this will be. Stuff the entrance closed, picked it up by the bottom board and on my 3rd step my foot sunk and twisted. Down we went, the cover came off when we hit and my face was staring into the top of the frames and a bunch of bees. I was very lucky, I just rolled away. Stings came as I was getting up, but none to my face.

Wow you was lucky!!

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 06:52:26 am »
49 years of beekeeping.  Too many mistakes to count.  So often, though, it's just an unexpected thing like a warped cover that lets bees into the top of a miller feeder where they should not be, and they can't find their way out and drown by the thousands or vacuuming bees on a hot day and they all die when it had worked fine on other occasions.  Sometimes it's just one little difference that makes a disaster out of something that has worked fine in the past.  I remember when I started I had only a bottom entrance and no top entrance and I had just enough experience to know that they were not going to cross the excluder until they were working the next box, so after they were working the super, I put the excluder in.  When I came back it was completely clogged with drones trying to get out of that super and all the bees in the super died.  Luckily this was pre SHB or it probably would have been slimed as well.  I put drawn comb every other frame with foundation and came back to find that the bees drew the drawn comb deeper and ignored the foundation and not one frame could be pulled out without destroying a comb of honey and flooding the hive with honey.  I decided to wait and eventually figured I could pull the super off, flip it upside down and pull the box off of the frames then pull the frames apart.  This worked well.  I'm not sure if it was my fault, but I had a queen and her bees move into a top feeder with floats.  Of course everyone who has been doing this long has left out a frame or worse, had an empty box with a feeder on, or left a box of dry sugar on too long in the spring and had the box get full of wild comb.  20 feet up a ladder I've shaken a swarm down the back of my neck.  Funny how a swarm will hold on and swing and then let go where you don't want them to.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 09:53:53 pm »
My biggest mistakes.
1) Buying queens instead of raising my own.
2) Going with the flow at the times on tracheal and varroa.
3) Running screened bottom boards.
4) Not knowing what a Double screened bottom board was and not knowing how to use it.
5) Not knowing what an imirie shim was and not knowing how to use it.
6) Let every one tell me I need telescoping covers, and using them.
7) Not knowing the right time to feed for my area.
8) Not realizing when those bees have to be hatched to make an outstanding honey crop.
9) How important swarm control is if you are serious about keeping/managing bees.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 12:43:13 am »
Thanks friends for sharing your mistakes.. Good learning tools!! Are there other members that 'might' wish to contribute? If so, 'you' are 'so' welcomed and encouraged to do so!!

Phillip

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 07:13:49 am »
And I look at all these as learning curves not mistakes. Still going through learning curves every year. The interesting thing is now Im more able to deal with them. I guess what it took me a long time to discover is how changing one little thing can have a huge impact in the big picture, and you might not notice it in one hive vrs another.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2023, 08:37:47 am »
And I look at all these as learning curves not mistakes. Still going through learning curves every year. The interesting thing is now Im more able to deal with them. I guess what it took me a long time to discover is how changing one little thing can have a huge impact in the big picture, and you might not notice it in one hive vrs another.

Well said Bill... changing one little thing can make a big difference..

Phillip
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:09:07 am by Ben Framed »

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2023, 09:03:03 am »
A couple days ago I caught the end of my 4x4 post on one of my stands with the back tire of my zero turn and dumped 3 hives over, bees everywhere...angry! Thankfully it was my smaller colonies and not my big production hives :angry:
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 12:42:28 pm »
I have carpet under 5 hives on a stand. The carpet is to allow me to put DE around the edge of the carpet, this was before I learned about DSBB and oil for SHB control.  I also thought the carpet would control vegetation under the hives, It did not work for SHB or weeds.  To the point, I was mowing around the carpet and since the weeds grew through the carpet I needed to mow on top of the carpet, NO problem, wrong, the mower started to eat carpet until it stalled.  I had to get off of the mower and run, the bees did not like me shaking their homes.  I was in my early 80's then so you would have to imagine what my top speed was.  Well, any way I got stung only a few times. I had to come back at night and cut the carpet that was attached to my mower and the rest of the carpet under the hive stand.  I got on the mower cranked it and took off hoping that I had done a complete job of cutting all the carpet away in the dark. I did, and "I love it when a good plan comes together".

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2023, 01:46:04 pm »
A couple days ago I caught the end of my 4x4 post on one of my stands with the back tire of my zero turn and dumped 3 hives over, bees everywhere...angry! Thankfully it was my smaller colonies and not my big production hives :angry:
:shocked: Oh man!  How much of a mess did that make?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2023, 02:30:41 pm »
"Paus"
"I love it when a good plan comes together".

And how!!  You was in a tight spot!

Phillip

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2023, 06:47:42 am »
:shocked: Oh man!  How much of a mess did that make?
Thankfully it wasn't terrible. One was a 5F nuc, one was a 10F single, and one was an 8F deep with 2 supers. Nothing broke, no combs got gouged, just sorta fell on their side and boxes separated. I went through them 2 days later and all was well. I was mowing in shorts and a bee jacket and when it first happened I jumped off to get them put back together right away, but after about 20 stings in the legs I went to the house to put on jeans.
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24

anything