Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why do these black foundations smell bad?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
Why do these black foundations smell bad?
« on: February 29, 2020, 09:02:54 pm »
P-U, are these things made of asphalt?
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Why do these black foundations smell bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:38:56 pm »
Smells like bees wax to me.  I just opened a box of 100 black foundation 9 1/8 after I read your post, no bad smell to me.  My frames are from mann lake.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 10:13:43 am »

Where did you purchase theses foundations? What brand did you buy?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 07:36:00 pm »

Where did you purchase theses foundations? What brand did you buy?

They came with a deep box and frames from Busy Bees and More Amish Made ... Sold by Galena Farms.

Saved $10!  LOL
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 07:47:57 pm »
The Amish people, as far as I know, are known for craftsmanship of making and building top quality products. I did not know why your frames which smell like asphalt. Seems a mystery?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 08:50:15 pm »
The Amish people, as far as I know, are known for craftsmanship of making and building top quality products. I did not know why your frames which smell like asphalt. Seems a mystery?

Yes, the woodenware was excellent.

Need to apply beeswax to the foundations.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:06:45 pm »
(Need to apply beeswax to the foundations.)

Yes Sir, Perhaps beeswax will seal in the asphalt smell. I am assuming these foundations are plastic. You may have already heard of what I am about to suggest.  There is a fellow in Florida that melts his old combs in a stainless steel vat each season. He saves this for dipping his plastic foundation in for coating. This practice makes a quick, effective and efficient way to coat his plastic foundation. I have not tried this but it certainly sounds promising. Being you are just getting things into gear you may not have the wax resources to accomplish this, but in the future, this may be worth looking into. I hope this helps you.

Phillip Hall

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 12:13:12 pm »
(Need to apply beeswax to the foundations.)

Yes Sir, Perhaps beeswax will seal in the asphalt smell. I am assuming these foundations are plastic. You may have already heard of what I am about to suggest.  There is a fellow in Florida that melts his old combs in a stainless steel vat each season. He saves this for dipping his plastic foundation in for coating. This practice makes a quick, effective and efficient way to coat his plastic foundation. I have not tried this but it certainly sounds promising. Being you are just getting things into gear you may not have the wax resources to accomplish this, but in the future, this may be worth looking into. I hope this helps you.

Phillip Hall

Thanks, Phillip.

Don't have enough wax for dipping but I painted some on them this morning.  It didn't help.

Will spend time at the dumpster to get these noxious things out of my life!  LOL
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:38:34 pm by FatherMichael »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:43:49 pm »

Will spend time at the dumpster to get these noxious things out of my life!  LOL

I'd contact the company and see what they say before you toss them.  Also, leaving them outside for a few days might help cure them.  Probably have to remove the wax you put on first...and if you use the blowdryer maybe don't tell your wife about it   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 03:07:45 pm »

I'd contact the company and see what they say before you toss them.  Also, leaving them outside for a few days might help cure them.  Probably have to remove the wax you put on first...and if you use the blowdryer maybe don't tell your wife about it   :grin:

Thanks, Kathy.  Already tossed them.  The smell was really bad.  They had been outside for several days already.

Ordered replacements from Acorn.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:02:44 pm »
Foundations from Acorn came today and I installed them.  They seem stiffer, coated much better, and smelled sweet like real beeswax.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 08:25:48 pm »
I really like the acorn, my splits took to them very quickly almost two frames in a 3 days. I hope they work for you.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 08:30:30 pm »
"I really like the acorn, my splits took to them very quickly almost two frames in a 3 days. I hope they work for you."

I have been advised by a beekeeper whom I totally trust to invest in Acorn also. I should have already ordered and need to get on it. I probably will stick with foundationless for my brood but Acron for the honey.
"decisions"  lol

Phillip
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:40:21 am by Ben Framed »

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 08:31:52 pm »
I really like the acorn, my splits took to them very quickly almost two frames in a 3 days. I hope they work for you.

Thanks, jtc.

If I were a bee I'd like them.  ;-)

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 09:00:59 pm »
Father, how did you have frames stored ? Over winter

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 07:20:54 am »
I really like the acorn, my splits took to them very quickly almost two frames in a 3 days. I hope they work for you."

I have been advised by a beekeeper whom I totally trust to invest in Acorn also. I should have already ordered and need to get on it. I probably will stick with foundationless for my brood but Acron for the honey.
"decisions"  lol

Phillip
On my cut outs I feel foundationless I do mark them on top of frame so I don?t forget or if my wife is in the hives

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 04:15:55 pm »
Father, how did you have frames stored ? Over winter

Had them since February 21 of this year.