Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody seen any swarming yet?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
Re: Anybody seen any swarming yet?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 12:03:12 am »
Bob, Hopefully you?ll end up with two colonies.

I know it?s too late now, but leftover capped honey can act as a barrier to hive expansion in a horizontal hive. I move any leftover frames of capped honey to the entrance, where it?s still available for use, leaving the brood nest intact but giving empty space for brood rearing as they expand.

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 02:20:33 pm »
It is looking better now...
In the middle of the situation yesterday, I thought I had inserted more empty frames into the brood nest than I thought. today, I removed the empty frame from each hive's brood nest, and added them at the end where the honey was. I imagine that at least one colony will still swarm, and since several of the queen cells were elongaded, I imagine soon.
But as of right now, both boxes are a good 8 frames of bees each.
I took no honey off the hive last year, but if these two colonies do well, with frames already drawn and ready for more brood, I surely hope I get some this year. All these months of labor (although I have enjoyed it) and not even a single, tiny jar of golden, heavenly elixer to show for it. Beekeeping teaches patience, if nothing else.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 03:52:15 pm »
If you see nectar coming in, take one frame of honey for yourself now. You don't need to wait until a full super is ready. One frame will give you about a quart of honey.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything