Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood Cappings  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Brood Cappings
« on: March 01, 2020, 01:28:33 am »
We know that bees cap their honey with wax cappings. What material do the bees use when capping brood? If we look closely, the brood cappings look sort of like wasp nest cappings with a yellowish tint? Kind of like a paper type surface?  Is this correct?

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Brood Cappings
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 02:57:22 am »
I think they use a mix of wax and propolis. Don't quote me on this though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:26:39 pm by Xerox »
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:12:18 am »
Cappings over cells of brood is recycled wax, the paper-like texture is caused by the cocoon spun by the larvae.  The bees do use a little propolis to strengthen the comb so this could be found in the cappings.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 08:49:24 pm »
Bee Caps are a blend of the four products from the bee hive - Royal Jelly, a natural rejuvenator; Propolis, nature's most potent antibiotic; Raw Honey, an instant energy builder and Pollen, often called nature's most "perfect" food.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 09:53:42 pm »
Thanks all for your accurate answers as well as Jim for the detailed answer. It amazes me of the complexity of the honey bee, as well as the vast knowledge of our members here.
Thanks,

Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 01:06:37 pm »
Um. . . I'm confused. . . .  This is a screencapture from a website selling a product called Bee Caps.   

Bee Caps are a blend of the four products from the bee hive - Royal Jelly, a natural rejuvenator; Propolis, nature's most potent antibiotic; Raw Honey, an instant energy builder and Pollen, often called nature's most "perfect" food.
Jim Altmiller

???  I think there was some sort of confusion here. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 01:37:43 pm »
" ???  I think there was some sort of confusion here. "

Yes so it seems. lol.  At least Jim tried to answer the question of this topic titled , (Brood Cappings).  I still appreciate his effort.  The reason I ask the question to begin with is because, I noticed that the unexpected swarm which I described in the topic, (Pleasant Surprise Today), Did not have to use any of its carried away provisions for building new comb when it swarmed, because of the nucs with full empty combed frames that I had in storage.

I had asked the question there concerning how this so early swarm might have survived without incoming nectar. Perhaps they did indeed find enough nectar, along with what honey they brought along during the swarm, to slice by and begin making brood. I theorise it may be natures way, that the newly developed hives workers might have made special individual independent trips (back to the mother hive) for more provisions as needed. After all they did still have the original scent of the original mother queen from that same hive? Perhaps the old roommates gladly let their sisters come on in and help themselves to what they needed? Maybe this theory is natures way of providing for a too early swarm? 

I knew pollen would not be a problem as I have Ultra Bee out for my bees. I was thinking the only wax they had to make was brood cappings. However I did not know if brood caps are made from wax or something similar to what wasp use to make their nest and caps for their brood, a paper like substance. So the idea of the topic was born and posted. lol PS lol I am still ticked. Thanks Member, Jim and all who have posted thus far.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:27:08 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 01:58:41 pm »
I also have read that bees add pollen when they make the brood cell caps, in order for the cappings to be permeable and breathe.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
Member, I don?t see the confusion?

Jim studied, retained, then texted.

I study so many books, so many papers from so many sources that for me, I find it impossible to quote the source.  I am constantly thinking NOW WHERE DID I READ THAT.  As long as the info is valid, that is my only concern.  Now trying to determine fiction from nonfiction on the web is a constant source of concern to me.

BTW, Member, thank you for your many post in the past to my questions like WHAT BUG IS THIS??  followed by a pic.  Then your reply with genus and species with detailed info.  Kind of you, Ms. Member, to look up the info for me.  Thank you.

Health to your bees.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 05:06:06 pm »

I study so many books, so many papers from so many sources that for me, I find it impossible to quote the source.  I am constantly thinking NOW WHERE DID I READ THAT.  As long as the info is valid, that is my only concern.  Now trying to determine fiction from nonfiction on the web is a constant source of concern to me.

BTW, Member, thank you for your many post in the past to my questions like WHAT BUG IS THIS??  followed by a pic.  Then your reply with genus and species with detailed info.  Kind of you, Ms. Member, to look up the info for me.  Thank you.

Health to your bees.

Van

Van If Jim was in the military I would consider him an officer and a gentleman. However, it is almost a word to word quote including punctuations. Is this the way that you remember faded memories of what you have read? I certainly appreciate Jim and his vast amount of beekeeping Knowledge. I can only hope to acquire half as much as our Jim. Perhaps Jim misunderstood the question. The same Ingredients posted may very well be 100 percent accurate and are the ingredients necessary to make brood cappings. I fully appreciate Jim?s desire to help me understand as he has helped me tremendously in many areas and questions. I look forward to his help in the future as well. Jim has always strived to give accurate information and not just from the top of his head as some may. This is no reflection against Jim and I do not believe member intended it that way. It was the word for word quoting that tickled me and I feel sure that Jim has a great sense of humor and is tickled as well. 😁Let?s all enjoy each other?s company and smile together. 😊

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 07:20:04 pm »
I searched my Honey Bee Biology and my The ABC XYZ of bee culture and could not find an answer. I believe that answer came from Wikipedia. I have always heard that it was made from wax and pollen. The purpose of the bees wax it so that it the cap can breathe.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 07:24:23 pm »
I searched my Honey Bee Biology and my The ABC XYZ of bee culture and could not find an answer. I believe that answer came from Wikipedia. I have always heard that it was made from wax and pollen. The purpose of the bees wax it so that it the cap can breathe.
Jim Altmiller

Thank you Jim. I appreciate you spending your time researching. That sounds like a good answer. It would give the queen more than protection, along with nutrition to nibble on until she emerges.  You guys and girls are great!!

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 08:31:31 pm »
Jim Altmiller
Okay, I understand now.  Perhaps someone just stuck that on the Wikipedia page or something.  Wikipedia can be kind of hit or miss at times, due to unrestricted editing.  I've never had much trouble with it though, and most of the general information on Wikipedia seems pretty reliable. 

Health to your bees.

Van
Thank you for your kind words, Van, and for giving me information to look up.  :cheesy:  My confusion was the result of the fact that Jim's post, based on the website I found, isn't the composition of bee brood cappings at all, it's the composition of a dietary supplement called Bee Caps.  As Phillip said, in no way do I doubt Jim's expertise, I simply wanted to make sure this particular information was accurate, since the source seemed a bit unrelated.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 11:02:24 pm »
My hat is off, tipped in respect as they say, to Mr. Jim.  With his observation hives as source, Jim has taught so much, so detailed, to so many, I say thanks Mr. Jim, further,,, Jim is the host of BeeFest donating his property for location, his time ALL for free ,,,further,,, administrator of this web site.  Yep, no doubt about it, my hat is off to Mr. Jim.  Hand shake

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 11:06:12 pm »
My hat is off, tipped in respect as they say, to Mr. Jim.  With his observation hives as source, Jim has taught so much, so detailed, to so many, I say thanks Mr. Jim, further,,, Jim is the host of BeeFest donating his property for location, his time ALL for free ,,,further,,, administrator of this web site.  Yep, no doubt about it, my hat is off to Mr. Jim.  Hand shake

Van

As each of us, perhaps you are smiling with we and Jim also? :-)

Phillip