Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Time for The Established Queen  (Read 2062 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Swarm Time for The Established Queen
« on: February 22, 2020, 11:26:11 pm »
I have noticed when doing cutouts that the Old fat mama queens usually are not the best flyers. What is the process old established queens go through in order to (slim down) in order to be prepared to make the necessary flight to the new location? If this is what they do (slim down) ?
Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Swarm Time for The Established Queen
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 12:00:41 am »
Your question is answered in "Honeybee Democracy".  I am not a writer of such ability that I can explain this, but to sum up the activity that causes her to lose weight  is a continual bumping and general harassment for a period of time by the bees in the hive this causes the queen to slim up or slim down, anyway she loses weight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:37:47 am by paus »

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:16 pm »
Paus, exactly what I read in the same excellent book by Seeley, a good read for understanding honeybees.  I keep this well written book close at hand.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 04:45:04 pm »
Your question is answered in "Honeybee Democracy".  I am not a writer of such ability that I can explain this, but to sum up the activity that causes her to lose weight  is a continual bumping and general harassment for a period of time by the bees in the hive this causes the queen to slim up or slim down, anyway she loses weight.

Paus, exactly what I read in the same excellent book by Seeley, a good read for understanding honeybees.  I keep this well written book close at hand.

Thanks men. Did your book say or estimate how long this process takes before Ms Queen is prepared and fit to make this flight?
Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:28:25 pm »
I think it is only 2 or 3 days.  Van, did Seeley's book mention a reduction in feeding the queen?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 10:15:40 pm »
Norvel, page 23 of Honeybee Democracy:

?Eggs at the rate of one or more per minute, or more than 1,500 per day (with a combined weight nearly equal to her own) in late spring...?

The quote LAYING EGGS NEARLY EQUAL TO HER BODY WEIGHT, is amazing, mind boggling to me.  I don?t remember how long it takes a queen to lose weight but according to the above quote, I would think the queen could lose weight very fast if the workers withheld food.

See ya at the next bee meeting, Norvel.

Health to your bees.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:47:40 pm »
I think it is only 2 or 3 days.  Van, did Seeley's book mention a reduction in feeding the queen?
That?s what I read somewhere. Just can?t remember where.
Van I?ll have to pick that book up.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:57:21 pm »
Norvel, page 23 of Honeybee Democracy:

?Eggs at the rate of one or more per minute, or more than 1,500 per day (with a combined weight nearly equal to her own) in late spring...?

The quote LAYING EGGS NEARLY EQUAL TO HER BODY WEIGHT, is amazing, mind boggling to me.  I don?t remember how long it takes a queen to lose weight but according to the above quote, I would think the queen could lose weight very fast if the workers withheld food.

See ya at the next bee meeting, Norvel.

Health to your bees.

Van, I would think the queen would lose weight very fast if they deprive her from food. Does it actually say workers, or nurse bees withhold food from the queen, or does it say they simply bump her around? I realize queen honey bees are complicated insects as all of Gods creatures are complicated and unique in their on manner. The queen honey bee, being capable of laying fertilized as well as unfertilized eggs, slowing in periods of dearth and winter, then wide open again in spring as the days start getting longer and spring is on the way especially when provisions begin coming in. Does she stop laying immediately when she is bumped around? If yes, what happens to the developed eggs that are in her body (if that is the right term) during this time of bumping around if she does stop laying? Or perhaps she is allowed to lay the developed eggs by her nurse bees that bump her around and may-be then, she stops full development of eggs and then thins down? It is nice to have an expert queen AI or II breeder such as yourself here. No doubt you have studied the reproduction of the queen honey bee to the letter. Maybe these questions are nullified by something else you may be able to share with us?
Thanks,
Phillip

PS. I suppose it is possible that the workers bump her around depriving her of food and she absorbs the eggs that are  already prepared to be laid, in her body, maybe affording her nutrition from that avenue? This is very interesting.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:30:07 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 10:29:47 am »
Check out the selections at this site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CekTG8Teroc

also see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnjY823e-w

Be prepared to spend some time there. :wink:
jimmy

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 11:18:48 am »
Thanks Jimmy. The first video was 7 hours without an index to direct to the simple questions. Perhaps Van or Paus will answer. since they have read the book.
Phillip

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:22:07 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 07:10:20 pm »
Ben, have you checked to see if your local library has a copy?  I?m sure you would enjoy all of the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 09:29:23 pm »
Ben, have you checked to see if your local library has a copy?  I?m sure you would enjoy all of the information.

All the information I am sure I would enjoy. The Library probably does have a copy. As far as that goes, I am sure that Books a Million possibly has a copy, or for that matter, there is always amazon.
Most everything I have learned has come from folks such as Tim Durham, Joe May, David at Barnyard bees, Don Kuchenmeister, Langford at Woolie Bees, JP and Schawee, and many many others from Youtube, far too many to name. There are great advantages of videos that can not be equaled in some respects. Sometimes it is the next best thing to having a mentor, as you can watch, listen, and learn and rewind if you miss something.  :grin:
I especially enjoy the comment sections that are below these videos. One thing that I have learned, the fellows and ladies are always happy to answer questions. When I first realized that I was serious enough to dive in head first with my first cutout, one of these fellows suggested that I join a forum so I joined here. I have learned a vast amount of beekeeping knowledge here also. Much by reading others questions and comments and much by asking questions myself. Some I could have learned in books perhaps, some not? I come here for quick answers to my inquisiveness. Not only to learn but share what I have learned by what I have experienced first hand. I am always willing and eager to help others any way I can,  just as much as I appreciate others seeking to help me, and not only me do they help by answering these questions but others as well, who may be reading. The way I see it, on a forum, a question that is answered, is not just as answer to that one particular person who may be asking the question, but an answer to folks all over the world, striving together to share a common love of beekeeping and the knowledge required to keep our hives alive and healthy. What may be boring to one individual and seem as junk mail, may be very valuable and appreciated by another. Do you agree? I am thinking that alone is a good reason for joining a forum. I also believe the above outlook may help a forum grow as well? Along with making friends when possible. So I come here to ask questions that are sometimes simple to some, complitated to others. This forum has a vast diversity of beekeepers ranging from seeking to be beekeepers, who may not as yet own a hive, to keepers whose families own THOUSANDS of beehives. Most members are patient and kind, some are not. It takes all working together to make a forum successful.  Thank you for your response.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:02:37 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 11:07:14 pm »
I also have a YouTube education along with reading books. I enjoy being a part of the forum. I?m still a newbie beekeeper just beginning my fourth year with 11 hives I don?t have much to offer over people with years of experience so you won?t see me offering many answers.

With your inquisitive nature I really think you would enjoy the book.  You would find answers to questions you haven?t asked. There?s a lot of interesting information included but it?s not a book I would recommend if you?re looking for hive management techniques. It?s about how the colony operates as a unit, a single living organism.

I didn?t remember the exact answer, it?s been some time since I?ve read it.  I looked it up for you after I located my copy. My index finger isn?t up to typing out a couple of pages but the short version is pretty much the same as paus answered above.

With each passing day she is fed less and less. Her egg production is reduced then she is nearly constantly harassed to keep her walking and loses 25% of her body weight.  There is no time frame given other than it is after eggs are laid in the queen cells and before the swarm leaves the hive. So it is just a matter of days.

Just mark me down as one of the less patient and kind.   I really meant I think you would enjoy the book.

Kevin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 11:35:14 pm »
Thank you Kevin. I am glad that you choose beemaster and you are here. I appreciate your stressing the goodness of the book. I am going to take you advise and buy a copy. Your answer with the combination of the others pretty well covered what I was inquisitive about lol.
Thanks,
Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:46:48 am by Ben Framed »

anything