Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Open air hive.  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Open air hive.
« on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:41 pm »
Have not posted here in a couple years, have been out of beekeeping that long. My cousin who lives near me in southeastern PA sent me this picture. Never heard of an open air hive this far north.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Open air hive.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:20:27 pm »
Psparr - that's really cool! I had no idea an open-air hive could be found in Penns Woods. Great catch by your cousin and thanks for sharing! [Thumbs-up]
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:58:06 pm »
I live in North Ms and have never seen or heard of an open air hive even here. I could not tell form the pictures, but it would be very interesting to know if the bees were still alive and doing well? If so that pretty well tells us about bees surviving in freezing weather in our boxes. Should be a cakewalk for our boxed bees survival if these can make it there, as per frigid conditions. .   lol   Thank you for posting.
Phillip
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:47:20 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:13:20 pm »
Wow, amazing!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 10:47:26 pm »
It?s a fake!!

What species of honeybee?  Open comb is Very common in Asian bees.

I don?t see bees on the comb, not a single bee???  PhotoShop, it?s a fake, maybe a real hive in Asia, but PhotoShopped. I don?t believe a hive like that could endure the cold of Pa.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:14:20 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 12:19:29 am »
What species of honeybee?  Open comb is Very common in Asian bees.  I hope those bees are not invasive species.  I would certainly check the species of bees.

For that matter that could be Africanized as they are know for sometimes choosing open air. Regardless, that is a nice looking bee hive, just look how graceful it sits, woven to the limbs. I for one, am simply anxious to know if there are live bees there. If and I say if there are live bees there they would probably be clustered tightly in the middle not visible to the naked eye. Or they could all be dead. Perhaps Psparr, your cousin could go back on a warm day and take a closer look giving us an update?
Blessings,
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 12:25:41 am »
It?s a fake!!

What species of honeybee?  Open comb is Very common in Asian bees.

I don?t see bees on the comb, not a single bee???  PhotoShop, it?s a fake, maybe a real hive in Asia, but PhotoShopped. I don?t believe a hive like that could endure the cold of Pa.

Maybe not van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:29:06 am »
Psparr, even though you have not posted here in a couple years, I am happy that you thought enough of us and choose to post here once again. Very interesting post. Glad to have you back and active!  Keep up the good work! May I add, you have a nice family.
Blessings,
Phillip
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:53:03 am by Ben Framed »

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 10:52:23 am »
I see no bees on the comb, and there is no statement that it is still alive.  I think the intent was to show that bees do make foolish decisions, although not often.  Usually this occurs when the colony can not find a suitable nesting place, or when the swarm queen is a virgin and the bees start comb on the tree limbs before she mates and begins to lay.  When she returns and finds comb, and she lays in it, the colony remains and is doomed.

I have seen only one exposed colony that survived over winter here in Arkansas, and that colony was protected by an overhang on a bluff.  All of those on tree limbs with no overhead protection died in November. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 11:26:45 am »
I see no bees on the comb, and there is no statement that it is still alive.  I think the intent was to show that bees do make foolish decisions, although not often.  Usually this occurs when the colony can not find a suitable nesting place, or when the swarm queen is a virgin and the bees start comb on the tree limbs before she mates and begins to lay.  When she returns and finds comb, and she lays in it, the colony remains and is doomed.

I have seen only one exposed colony that survived over winter here in Arkansas, and that colony was protected by an overhang on a bluff.  All of those on tree limbs with no overhead protection died in November.

I think you are right AR.  From my point of view I was wondering if a colony could survive the cold without an outside protected enclosure such as a hollow tree or even one of our box type setups. When I first started keeping 23 months ago, I was concerned that my bees would freeze during the cold months.  Then I read where there are folks up north that keep bees with open screen bottoms throughout the winter. This amazed me, and even now we read where our friends here are concerned to the point of buying insulated hive bodies. Apparently for the cold, they are not necessary. I really appreciate you telling us of the open air survival bees there in your COLD winter Arkansas. And I appreciate you Psparr for posting this. Good stuff !!
Phillip
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:42:06 am by Ben Framed »

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 11:41:59 am »
South Texas, Arizona, Florida, Arkansas ok one as Norvel says; very southern US also,I would believe an open hive; but Pa I don?t believe an open hive, by mellifera species.

Thanks for the input Norvel, Ar, hope to see you at the next meeting.

Thanks for the input Mr. Ben.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 11:48:58 am »
South Texas, Arizona, Florida, Arkansas ok one as Norvel says; very southern US also,I would believe an open hive; but Pa I don?t believe an open hive, by mellifera species.

Thanks for the input Norvel, Ar, hope to see you at the next meeting.

Thanks for the input Mr. Ben.

Your welcome Mr Van it?s amazing that a healthy hive can survive these places in an open air circumstance,  you might add some more stares to that list that List which may get just as cold as Arkansas such as some parts of Kentucky, Tennessee Missouri etc LoL  It amazes me that they can survive anywhere that reaches below freezing in an open air hive, even with an overhang.  Remarkable creatures. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 11:57:59 am »
And who knows, if these bees had a overhang such as a bluff? Who is to say? What is the low temperatures there in your area of Arkansas?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 12:23:00 pm »
Some years below zero, kinda rare to get that cold whereas temps in the teen are the norm.

Cold blowing rain would be the killer, not so much cold temps.  Not thinking about cold air as much as cold blowing rain which would kill an open hive as shown in the pic.  Open hive under an eve as Ar texted is a different story.  Pa borders Canada, well kinda, Lake Erie is between Pa and Canada.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 12:30:54 pm »
Some years below zero, kinda rare to get that cold whereas temps in the teen are the norm.

Cold blowing rain would be the killer, not so much cold temps.  Not thinking about cold air as much as cold blowing rain which would kill an open hive as shown in the pic.  Open hive under an eve as Ar texted is a different story.  Pa borders Canada, well kinda, Lake Erie is between Pa and Canada.

Yes the overhang bluff that AR mentioned, affords protection from rain and snow. It?s the cold I am concentrating on after all our boxes protect from rain ☔️.  For a hive to survive in below freezing or even the low teens without this outer (shell), open air, is in my thinking simply amazing! So who yet knows if they could survive PA in a similar situation? I sure do not know, I was presently surprised that they can and have survived your cold area.  Good Stuff!!
Thanks
Phillip

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 12:37:02 pm »
HP and Ian, these are beeks that deal with absolute cold in Canada.  I am amazed at both these beeks prosperous operations.  Arkansas is tropical weather compared to Canada.  Lol

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:16 pm »
HP and Ian, these are beeks that deal with absolute cold in Canada.  I am amazed at both these beeks prosperous operations.  Arkansas is tropical weather compared to Canada.  Lol

So true. But below zero without any outer protection is a different matter totally. I do not know how long I could survive with HP at 20 below, being well suited with the best clothing for protection. Boots for warmth etc,  I bet I could last longer there with HP than I could in your below zero with only a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops lol
 :shocked:

Blessings

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2020, 10:51:52 am »
no live bees in the pic, so this could possibly have been a swarm from last year that never found a suitable cavity to hive.  Just built up over the course of the summer then died out when it got cold.  It happens.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 06:25:14 am »
no live bees in the pic, so this could possibly have been a swarm from last year that never found a suitable cavity to hive.  Just built up over the course of the summer then died out when it got cold.  It happens.

That was going to be my guess. It looks like the amount of comb a summer swarm would build before dearth hit.

Indecision gets you nowhere.  (for people too, we might take an object lesson)

anything