Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hatched Chicks  (Read 9449 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hatched Chicks
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 02:15:59 pm »
lol - or under the covers, getting the bed warm before you get in. Hmm wonder if they could warm the bed since they are cold-blooded?
Yeah, that probably wouldn't work.  It'd be the other way around, I'd be warming him up.  :cheesy:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 07:23:11 pm »
How they looking now? I?m covered up in eggs at moment. Not that it?s a bad thing. 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 02:11:48 pm »
How they looking now? I?m covered up in eggs at moment. Not that it?s a bad thing. 
They are looking great!  Here's some pictures of them.  We have our adult rooster Ronald in with them right now, so that he gets used to the younger hens before they are integrated into the main flock.  I love your egg carton by the way, that's a riot!  :cheesy:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 09:57:05 am »
you sure have a beautiful flock!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 01:14:21 pm »
you sure have a beautiful flock!
Thanks!  My little sisters do such a good job of managing the chickens. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 06:36:45 pm »
Member what is the latest happenings with your farm? Rabbits and chickens? Any other species?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 11:31:02 am »
Member what is the latest happenings with your farm? Rabbits and chickens? Any other species?
The chickens have all been integrated into one flock and have just finished their winter molt.  Our older rooster Ronald and one of the young ones get along well, so we now have one big flock with 2 roosters.  We have a batch of bunnies growing out in the tractor, which we are hoping to butcher before Christmas.  One of our female breeder rabbits died suddenly after a bout of the snuffles, and we hand-reared her litter the rest of the way and kept one of those babies as our new breeder female, who is almost ready to breed the first time.  Since she was a bottle baby, she is really tame.  We call her Big Ears, because she has extremely large ears.  Our puppies just turned 2 years old and they are SOOO BIG!  We think our male is around 120 lbs, and our female about 95.  Also, my sister bred her goats for the first time this fall, and both does are pregnant, so we'll be having baby goats in the spring!     

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 06:10:44 pm »
I love it! Send pictures!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 07:40:09 pm »
I love it! Send pictures!
All right, here you go!

This is Mason.  That's my dad in the background for scale.

This is Nova.  She likes to lay flat on her back like a weirdo for some reason.  :cheesy:

Here is Prim. 

And here is Bella.  She's extremely outgoing and curious about the camera, and is therefore harder to photograph.

I'll get you some pictures of Big Ears and the chicken flock tomorrow if I have the time.   :happy: 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 03:13:19 pm »
Here is Big Ears.  She came right up to the door to have her picture taken.  Unlike our other female, Purple, who smashes herself in the corner if you try to pet her.   

And here is some of the chicken flock.  Not everyone thought me worth investigating, so this is about half of them.  Our senior rooster Ronald is the one at the bottom giving me the eye.  He's probably wondering if I brought some drone brood with me, since that's usually the only reason I go into their run.  The other rooster the kids call "The Blessing", since he's such a nice guy and was a beautiful chick.   

Also I incorrectly said yesterday that we have 2 roosters in the flock, we actually have 3.  I forgot about Mario, who is a Salmon Faverolle, since he is so lame at being a rooster that he is basically a hen.  He's an absolute riot.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2020, 05:08:58 pm »
Thanks for posting the pictures! Mason and Nova are big dogs. Yall are doing a good job with your animals and flock. Do you get plenty of eggs to feed your family? I suppose being covered up in eggs says it all! lol Keep up the good work and thanks for the update.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 05:14:22 pm »
Adding, I enjoyed the trip through the barnyard.   :happy:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 08:00:49 pm »
Adding, I enjoyed the trip through the barnyard.   :happy:
Glad you liked looking at everyone!  :happy:

Do you get plenty of eggs to feed your family?
At the moment we are just barely, since all the hens slowed down their egg laying during the molt, and many of the youngest hens aren't laying at full capacity yet, but we'll get back to a surplus soon enough.  :smile:     

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 04:16:41 am »
Member,
Do you have a light on in your henhouse?
If not, get an led bulb and one of those metal reflector lights that will hold onto a 2x4. They often sell them as heat lamps for chicks. Get a Christmas light timer that has a dawn plus 4 hours setting and plug the light into it. Get one that has an actual manual switch setting. The electronic ones are a pain in the neck because every time the power goes out, they reset to off.
By adding 4 hours of light, your hens will start laying at full capacity. It usually takes 3 weeks of extra light for the hens to start laying again. I just added lights to our 2 hen houses this week. I turn them off in the summer.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 10:32:35 am »
Member,
Do you have a light on in your henhouse?
If not, get an led bulb and one of those metal reflector lights that will hold onto a 2x4. They often sell them as heat lamps for chicks. Get a Christmas light timer that has a dawn plus 4 hours setting and plug the light into it. Get one that has an actual manual switch setting. The electronic ones are a pain in the neck because every time the power goes out, they reset to off.
By adding 4 hours of light, your hens will start laying at full capacity. It usually takes 3 weeks of extra light for the hens to start laying again. I just added lights to our 2 hen houses this week. I turn them off in the summer.
Jim Altmiller
Thanks for the tip, but our hens actually don't have trouble laying through the winter normally.  We've debated on doing a light in the chicken shed, but we've never really found it to be necessary.  The new hens just aren't at full laying capacity yet because they are young and they only started laying a month or two ago.   

anything