Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poison Ivy.  (Read 10482 times)

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Poison Ivy.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:12 am »
I used to be very sensitive to Poison Ivy. Used to have to get shots almost every summer as it would cover most of my body. I started raising dairy goats about 30 years ago and they love PI. Within a year of drinking the milk daily I stopped being affected by it. Keeping goats strictly because of Poison Ivy is rather drastic but if you know someone selling the raw milk and the goats have access to wild forage you might give it a try.
Neill

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:56 am »
I used to be very sensitive to Poison Ivy. Used to have to get shots almost every summer as it would cover most of my body. I started raising dairy goats about 30 years ago and they love PI. Within a year of drinking the milk daily I stopped being affected by it. Keeping goats strictly because of Poison Ivy is rather drastic but if you know someone selling the raw milk and the goats have access to wild forage you might give it a try.

I like this, a different way of ingesting PI to produce immunity. Same as eating a early tender leaf the way Darryl teaches. I've seen him do it. I have no problem with PI, get bitten by brown recluse spiders more often, lol. I avoid PI religiously but am around it all the time here on the farm. I am aware of it and avoid it, if cutting something with the chainsaw that has a PI vine I use the top of the bar to throw the chips away from me instead of on my pants leg.  :smile:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »
Peanut,
I like that idea. It is a shame that I cannot milk my cows. They would kick me to death if I tried. :angry:
I will have to check with goat raisers to see if any of them milk their goats and where they graze.
I may even get some goats. My wife would love. The only reason we do not have them is goats are a pain to keep them from getting their head stuck in the field fence.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »
I use to take a stick and duct tape it to the horns straight across. After a while they'll quit or once it comes off the horns will be too big to get through.

Jim; Old folks use to say; "A goat ain't nothing but an animal looking for a place to die." After my first year or so with goats I knew exactly what they were talking about. I didn't really lose any but I was all the time out there treating someone.

There ain't no cuter or funnier animal than a baby goat.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:58 pm »
Thanks Gary.  :happy:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:29 am »
Update.
Someone recommend taking Zertec allergy tablets. I thought it was someone on this site but I do not see it in this thread. My wile bought a Publics brand bottle of it. I took one tablet the first day and got relief in less than an hour. After 2 days I was able to stop using any creams. The only down side is that it makes me sleepy and every time I stop taking it the poison Ivy breaks out again.
I didn't take I Friday and by mid morning Saturday 3 areas were itching and getting red bumps.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
I have heard of the milk thing before. But on a side note someone told me they saw poison ivy honey. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 12:25:28 am »
I got Into a patch about three weeks ago. it tore me up. I got some pi spray at Walmart that finally stopped it. never used the plantain. have it all round here. now to start collecting smoothing else. pi  gets me every year on the arms.

john

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 12:52:47 am »
Today is the first day that I did not take Zertec to control the itch and the PI has not flaired up. Yea, about time. If you have not tried Zertec for PI, I recommend you try it. It is amazing.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:25 am »
I am fortunate not to get it. Back in my school days I had a classmate who would get it all over his nose and mouth area every year just from breathing it in apparently.  That must have sucked. 

Offline TALittle

• New Bee
  • I'm simply saying that life finds a way.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
I have heard of the milk thing before. But on a side note someone told me they saw poison ivy honey. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I have, seems bees love PI and collect from it.

Personally I have never been effected by PI. I tend to select trees with PI on and around them as good places to put my game cameras. Deer come right up to them, but it keeps the two legged varmint away from them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:21 pm »
Jim you may also want to try Pepcid and or Claritin. Like you I get sleepy , but Pepcid is a h2 blocker and helps with allergic reaction.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 07:00:03 am »
Thanks JT. I will have to keep that in mind.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:35 pm »
In the old days it was calamine lotion.  I have used a lot in my youth and back then it didn't seem to help much.  I know what you are going through.  Kock on wood, somewhere along the line I must have built up an immunity.  Haven't had it in some years and hope that is how it goes for you at some point.
Good luck
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 01:37:33 pm »
>In the old days it was calamine lotion.

The problem with that was it didn't work.  It did not remove the itch, the swelling the blisters nor did it keep it from spreading.  It was, in a word "worthless".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »
Michael,
My sediment exactly.

Thanks Gww, I wish I grew to not be alergic to it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 10:46:05 am »
i didn't see this suggestion . get a shot . my phesant hunting friend used to get one every year . the dr's can fix this . :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 12:50:35 am »
If you get into it you gotta wash with dawn and hot water and get the oils off asap.

Growing up i could roll in the crap snd not be effected.  Now days if i touch it its horrible...  i had it on my feet last time, then wearing socks and sweating spread it to my ankles and lower legs...  talk about misrible...  i had to call in sick to work because i couldnt wesr socks and shoes or itd spread more..

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:00 am »
well spring is coming and poison ivy season soon to follow my hunting and fishing buddy used to get a shot from the dr. every spring to prevent it . being he was a barber he said he couldn't afford to have an ugly rash . :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »
I have seen a video that stresses if you do get into it you need to scrub it off with a wash cloth of brush because it takes a lot to get the oil off your skin.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything