Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Lesson of Beekeeping: Wait. Just wait.  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
The Lesson of Beekeeping: Wait. Just wait.
« on: July 24, 2019, 04:09:00 pm »
So I made a post a while back about my top bar hive (Hive 3) and I couldn't find the queen or any brood. This week, that all changed. I looked in there today expecting to see no brood and will have to re-queen the hive. I already did some looking around for queens for sale online and decided that if I couldn't find the queen I would try doing Italians. Then today i started seeing eggs a few bars in. I though that was weird and hoped that there wasn't a laying worker. But again like the situation in Hive 1, they were on the bottoms of the cells and there wasn't multiple eggs per cell. I looked some more and there she was! I was filled with relief and grabbed my queen marking gear. After her falling off the frame and a bit of hassle I marked her and put her back in. I'm thinking about letting this hive go on its own because they are starting to make their comb all wonky and its a big mess. I think I like Langstroth hives better.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: The Lesson of Beekeeping: Wait. Just wait.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 06:34:43 pm »
Xerox, good story that has a happy ending.  I know the feeling of relief you experienced when you laid eyes on the queen, makes ones day for sure.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 06:35:48 pm »
Xerox, good story that has a happy ending.  I know the feeling of relief you experienced when you laid eyes on the queen, makes ones day for sure.
Blessings

Yes. She isn't as big as her mom but shes doing well.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 06:53:42 pm »
Yes, a valuable lesson.

Coming back after so many years away from it I've worried over every little hiccup at the hive.  Just before the Mesquite flow the hive was way low on stores and there was little brood -- so little that I thought the queen was dead!  I started feeding, waiting, and they zoomed back.

There was a population explosion during the flow and heavy bearding during some hot days.  All of a sudden the bearding stopped, there was little activity, and I thought they might have swarmed.  If so then, waiting, I should not do an inspection.

Today there are many bees orienting and things look fine.

I often worry needlessly.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 06:54:48 pm »
I am concerned for the bees by --letting this hive go on its own ...--
Perhaps instead consider getting another langstrothe hive to move the bees and that nice fresh queen into.  It would be best to do so asap before they waste their efforts doing much work in the top bar.

A repurposed top bar hive does make a nice storage chest for your bee suit and bee supplies.

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 08:45:27 pm »
I am concerned for the bees by --letting this hive go on its own ...--
Perhaps instead consider getting another langstrothe hive to move the bees and that nice fresh queen into.  It would be best to do so asap before they waste their efforts doing much work in the top bar.

A repurposed top bar hive does make a nice storage chest for your bee suit and bee supplies.

You gave me an idea. I'll go out and get some foundation-less frames and try to cut out and stick the frames onto there. Idk this may end in a disaster but I'll cage up the queen and give it a try.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 08:57:22 am »
After her falling off the frame and a bit of hassle I marked her and put her back in.

I would have let the queen get more established before marking her.  That would be the second wait.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 09:37:17 pm »
After her falling off the frame and a bit of hassle I marked her and put her back in.

I would have let the queen get more established before marking her.  That would be the second wait.

There was well developed brood in there almost capped so i guess that is pretty well established.