Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Change of Status  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Change of Status
« on: May 23, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »
Not a Want-2-Bee any longer!  :lol:
Picked up my first Nuc, that was a long.... wait!
I drove hour + to get them. First lesson duct tape x2 all seams of cardboard nuc box!
It was a interesting drive back home, at about 1/2 way I was stopped for a light and next car people were staring at me. Looked in back and saw why.
Some 100 odd Bees were loose!
I stayed calm, mostly. Drove as fast as was allowed  :evil: opened windows - then noticed most of the bees stayed still/crawled slowly around rear windows. I think that they did not want to fly in 90Km wind.
So on arrival I donned my veil and move them to their new spot. Spayed entrance and split seam was water. Let them rest for 1/2 hour. While I warmed a Pollen Patty and syrup had a coffee.
Placed division board feeder in centre of the long hive.
Put on veil and opened Nucs top. They had glued it down tight. Found lots of comb between top-n-frames.
Inside the frames were stuck to ends and each other. I remembered advice to move slow so that first frame took 20 minutes to get out. I ended up pushing bees off near the ends and just grabbed the bar, squashed a bit of honey comb and placed it in hive. The next 3 only took 20 minutes all total.
I put a empty Top-bar between each of the Nuc frames, places the Pollen Patty on top and closed.
Then I noticed I had forgot to light my smoker!
Just spayed water when too many started flying. It worked out very well.  :-D
 Checked about hour later bees a flying every where and still cleaning out mess left in Nuc box.
I was happy to see some bees returning with full loads of red pollen. Then I noticed that they were ignoring me.  8-)
Checked at sundown Bees finished nuc clean up and when into their new home.
I did take a few pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/110266045073723350047/RobSNucBees

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Change of Status
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:37:16 pm »
driving with bees has it's advantages.  if they are in the back of the truck, no one tailgates.  if they are in the car, people think you are crazy and don't do things to tick you off  :evil:

welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping.  no longer are you a wannabee.   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
Picked up some in cardboard boxes too. I set a thin blanket on the floor board, another blanket on top of the boxes to cover them up with a 2x4 on top of that to hold the lids on. Nothing was flying inside, no deaths, worked just fine, ... congrats!

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:30:45 pm »
LOL my wife would have killed me if I would have done something like that.  I can hear her now NORMAN THEIR OUT, STOP THEIR OUT. ROFL :-D
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:46:58 am »
We haul them around in the car or jeep all the time.  Talk about strange looks from people.  The only people who don't look shocked are the package suppliers we deal with.  Even family members think we are strange.  I'm thinking it might even work to get out of a speeding ticket.  "Sorry about speeding, officer, but I gotta get these angry bees home before they get loose and terrorize a neighborhood!"

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:24 am »
Congratulations on getting the girls settled in their new home! The worst thing I did to my wife's van was bringing home two garbage cans full of wet alpaca manure! :shock: Boy was she angry! It stunk for several days, and when she asked why I used her van, my reply was; "You don't think I was going to put that in MY car, do you?" :-D

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:50:37 pm »
I stopped to pick up a swarm and the guy ran out to help me if i needed it and saw the 2 buckets of bee and heard the bussing and ran back to the house. There may have been 25 bees on the window trying to get out .people are funny.  and the only thing I'm allowed to pick up with the wife's truck is the kids...
see what happens when a country boy marries a city girl, bad stuff bad bull bad.