Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Good Books?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Good Books?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
Don't be discouraged by some of of our members negative comments about beekeeping books.  I think they all have wonderful information and unless you're getting down to "technical" information, the basics are pretty much the same.  ABC's & XYZ's is layed out like an encyclopedia which is pretty hard to follow.  I recommend having a copy on hand once you get your first hives established as a reference.  Most of the basic books like "First Lessons in Beekeeping" from Dadant are really good basic info to get you started.  There is no book out there that will cover everything, like everyone else has said you should probably check into a local club.  That will get you involved with other people who can pass on their experiences to you.

Something that really helped me is the video series, "Honeybees & Beekeeping, A Year in the Life of an Apiary" with Keith Deleplane.  It's from the early 90's and can be pretty cheesy at parts, but the 8 half hour episodes really brings beekeeping to light for newcomers.  You can buy it from most beekeeping supply places online.
Another video that's really cool is the Nova show, "Tales from the Hive".  It's more about bees than beekeeping, but still really interesting!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
Re: Good Books?
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
Yep...there was a time before the internet when you went out to the yard and saw something strange and your choice.....go in the house open your books and see if you figure it out. So the two books that got me thru all that have both been mentioned several times...ABC-XYZ and How to by Taylor. I would agree that you can not take everything as gospel for instance most all the newer books including Natural Beekeeping - Conrad mention using treatments as a matter of fact....I don't agree with that. Anyway...get some books, subscribe to Bee Culture and American Bee Journal, read on here, MB website, and everywhere else you can find, then go out and enjoy because you will learn most by doing. :)

anything