Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often to harvest?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline yanks26

• New Bee
How often to harvest?
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:37:01 pm »
I am new to this beekeeping stuff and think it looks like so much fun. I have learned lots of info but have come across one main question: How often do you harvest the honey???

I hear some people say once and some say twice. Some say something like, "they produce 30 lbs of something a day from each super".

Can anyone help me out? Sorry for the ridiculous question.

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
Re: How often to harvest?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:02:19 pm »
Here in Pa the 1st week of August is the end of our honey season. I try to get it off the first Two weeks. We then go through about four weeks without rain. Then during the beginning of September it starts to rain again and immediately the fall asters and goldenrod bloom. Sometimes they make extra. sometimes the bees just pack out the two brood chambers they will need for the winter.

Russ

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »
>How often do you harvest the honey???

I usually do it once a year.  Some people have less equipment and do it more often.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »
twice a year here in south louisiana if we have a good fall flow.

depends on the weather.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline yanks26

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:03 pm »
I forgot to mention im from Connecticut which might or not make a difference. I just figured the cold temperatures would impact how many times I harvest the honey.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:23 pm »
that far north, i would only harvest once a year and leave the fall honey for overwintering.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:26 am »
As often as you want to, or only once.  :-D

If you want to you could pull a frame at a time, I've heard of that being done.

For me, though, it is 2x a year...once in early summer and once in the middle.  After August they keep the rest.

A lot depends on how many supers you have.  If you have enough then once is sufficient.  I don't have quite enough, so have to harvest more often.

Rick
Rick