Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive starvation.  (Read 10032 times)

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
Re: Hive starvation.
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2020, 06:08:10 pm »
Bob, yes 35 maybe enough in your area, but please keep in mind. Those recommendations are from pass experience. This years weather is very odd here imho, I've never seen 60-70?F in Dec-Feb.  That been said if u go by old standards (35 lbs. of honey)  but then have a very warm winter is that 35 enough ?  I leave it to the bee's to understand that, not someone's opinion. I had calendars for my first 3 yrs. as I read in books. I learned that it was , not a reliable resource because of changing weather.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 06:15:15 pm »
Bahbees,  how many hives are u talking about ?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 06:19:02 pm »
And are all hives from same DNA(strain) ?

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2020, 10:00:02 pm »
As you all suggested, I did a lift test in the hive, compared to an empty hive box I have. Probably 50lbs heavier. Two fingers with one hand for the empty hive, verses two handed serious effort to lift the occupied hive. That is a good sign I think.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 02:28:40 am »
I read somewhere (maybe Bush Farms?) that if possible, leave the bees all their honey till late fall when winter prep comes, then pull off excess, leaving them plenty for their winter. Just take less honey. That way we never have to feed syrup unless they failed in drought to provide for their own in the year. The bees get the most healthy diet, their own honey.
Of course I am a hobbyist, and don't require a living off honey.

Bob, Mr Bush is one of my most trusted and favorite advisors here. Keep in mind location. I could be wrong but Mr Bushes location is not as much bothered by SHB as my area or possibly yours there in Georgia. I do not know that the advise for your area as compared to his, will apply with the SHB potential problems? Mr Bush if you read this and I am wrong please correct me Sir.
Thanks,
Phillip

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 02:40:47 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 12:04:41 pm »
As you all suggested, I did a lift test in the hive, compared to an empty hive box I have. Probably 50lbs heavier. Two fingers with one hand for the empty hive, verses two handed serious effort to lift the occupied hive. That is a good sign I think.

Mr. Bob:  yes, a good thing.  Looks good to me, you have plenty of honey by your heft test.  In your area, the flow will start very soon.  Most likely you already have flowers.

Health to your bees.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 04:23:27 pm »
I found one hive that was lite by heft test.  I believe this hive was on verge of starvation.  I placed a Mason common type syrup jar with 2X sugar that feeds thur a circular cut in the lid.  Hive saved!!

Health to your bees,
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 08:49:29 pm »
I found one hive that was lite by heft test.  I believe this hive was on verge of starvation.  I placed a Mason common type syrup jar with 2X sugar that feeds thur a circular cut in the lid.  Hive saved!!

Health to your bees,
Van

Van was this after you found the starved hive yesterday?  I have several lite ones that I split in the fall, I have been trying to make sure they have plenty to make it through. I used the same practices that I used last year. I feel for you, I do not want to lose any either.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »
Van let me add, I refilled their quart jars just yesterday with the usual sugar syrup/ essential oil mix that I learned from Joe May, David at barnyard bees, and last but not least Don Kutchenmeister.  Today four of five of these late season nuc splits were completely out of feed and the fifth one was almost empty. That leads me to believe that they are on the grow, raising brood at breakneck speed! I wish I had inspected but I have been sick and did not want to stay out too long. I have been feeding them all along, and they have been taking a good amount all along. But today they kicked it in a whole new high gear!
Blessings,
Phillip

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2020, 12:06:15 pm »
Bahbees,  how many hives are u talking about ?

All of the honey mentioned came from primarily one hive last year.  Say 2/3s.  It is the oldest of my 6 hives.  The other 5 kind of shared the rest of the amount...with two somewhat better than the other three. 

I have 6.  1 is 2 years old, one 2 months younger than that from a split off the 1st.  One is a year old from a swarm off the 2nd, and one a package installed in mid summer last year.  The last two are adopted hives that I do not know the age of.

I only got one super of fall honey last year due to he extreme drought.

Have 4 packages coming this spring.

Barry

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2020, 03:44:10 pm »

Health to your bees,
Van

The bees quickly emptied the first jar.  Then temp plummeted with snow, past 4 days was to cold to add more syrup, one pint 2X syrup, to this hive on the verge of starvation.  Today is 48F high so I was able to add another pint, switch jars from empty to full, to this one hive.  I believe I can save this hive now, although a total of one quart of syrup was provided, which is not enough to last to the flow.  So another couple of pints of 2X syrup should do it.

The bees can also feed tomorrow, 50F high, then another front and bees clustered for a few days.  You beeks south on me, I am in N Arkansas, have my envy this time of year.  Enjoy your warmth in the southern US!!!

Health to your bees.

Van

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2020, 05:58:23 pm »

Health to your bees,
Van

The bees quickly emptied the first jar.  Then temp plummeted with snow, past 4 days was to cold to add more syrup, one pint 2X syrup, to this hive on the verge of starvation.  Today is 48F high so I was able to add another pint, switch jars from empty to full, to this one hive.  I believe I can save this hive now, although a total of one quart of syrup was provided, which is not enough to last to the flow.  So another couple of pints of 2X syrup should do it.

The bees can also feed tomorrow, 50F high, then another front and bees clustered for a few days.  You beeks south on me, I am in N Arkansas, have my envy this time of year.  Enjoy your warmth in the southern US!!!

Health to your bees.

Van

I am in a similar circumstance as you describe here except I have a good hand full of late season splits instead of one as you are dealing with. As I said earlier in this thread I wish you success and I do not want to loose any either! Lol I have a couple questions that I seek your wise council. First question, are you also feeding pollen sub to this hive? Second question, I have henbit, (and I hope I am pronouncing it correctly). growing in the yard of these late splits at another location. Will the pollen in this plant be sufficient to supply the needs of my lite weights building up splits or should I add pollen directly to these few lite splits?
Blessings,
Phillip

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2020, 07:48:09 pm »
I do community feed sub pollen, Ultra Bee.  HenBit, not sure what that plant is, so I cannot answer #2.  My botanical knowledge is somewhere between zero and one on a ten point scale.

Van

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:49 pm »
Did y'all read what iddee said about pollen feeding. And Q can't move ?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2020, 11:45:04 pm »
I do community feed sub pollen, Ultra Bee.  HenBit, not sure what that plant is, so I cannot answer #2.  My botanical knowledge is somewhere between zero and one on a ten point scale.

Van

I do community feed with pollen sub also. And I do not feed pollen-sub straight to an individual hive. But I am being pulled with the possibility of feeding pollen sub directly into these weak hives. I suppose the proper way would be a pollen patty. I am concerned because, I am experiencing similar weather pattern and conditions in the last few days, including snow last night and a high, for me today of 45. Being its early February in my part of the South, conditions can change to steady cold again and once again back to the seclusion of the box where my bees may be stuck for days. I certainly hope not but we know it is possible. Does this sound reasonable? Though I have not been into any of these weak hives, I am confident that they are doing all they can to survive this critical time of possible starvation while developing more bees.
As far as henbit, I know very little either. Here's what I do know and thanks to the good posters here at beemaster. Bee Wallace stated from the following asking what was the plant pictured in the same post as follows.
Re: Follow the Bloom 2017
? Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 05:21:28 pm

Dallas replied
 Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 05:28:58 pm 

Looks like henbit

The plant that is at my other bee yard, where my weak hives are, looks just like the plant in the picture of beewalaces posted picture. thus my questions form there. Since my curiosity was abounding, I have since looked this henbit verses pollen question up on google, it does say that it is a plant that bees use to gather pollen along with nectar. I did not find the value of each however. Maybe someone here knows the value of henbit as for our bees benefit?
Blessings,
Phillip

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:50:23 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2020, 08:38:33 am »
Henbit. If you are in the south and your yard is not mowed yet... You probably have henbit. ✔️

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2020, 08:39:34 am »
I?ve seen bees work it. What I?ve found says the pollen will be a orange red and  purplish red in color.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
Henbit. If you are in the south and your yard is not mowed yet... You probably have henbit. ✔️
This is correct. It will be one of the tallest things growing now.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2020, 08:48:43 am »

Yes if your bees are in your yard as described, my second bee yard is in an old garden spot with plenty of henbit, which must have been a good choice as concerning bees 🐝? ✔️ Lol  Let me add making it a blessing. Bob are you blessed with henbit within range of your bees?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:12:47 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2020, 06:39:56 pm »
I?ve seen bees work it. What I?ve found says the pollen will be a orange red and  purplish red in color.

Yes my bees are working it, I am curious as the nutritional value, (protein percentage), of the pollen it provides. I am really glad to see that my lite weight late splits have access to this on the days they can fly. They cover it. Can?t hardly walk for fear of killing bees in this old garden spot. What is curious Nock, is they are still taking ultra bee 🐝 also.
Phillip

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:40:53 pm by Ben Framed »