Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello,new Bee Keeper from Texas  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Beeright

• New Bee
Hello,new Bee Keeper from Texas
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:27:06 am »
Just started and I need all the help I can get

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Hello,new Bee Keeper from Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:37:04 am »
Welcome. Ask away. You've come to the right place.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 06:25:13 am »
Beeright,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Feel free to ask all and any questions. We love to answer them. Don?t worry if you think it was asked before we are here to help.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 01:22:32 pm »
Welcome
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:46:26 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 09:49:30 am »
Glad to have you. The forum is a great mix of LONG time beekeepers with huge experience, and newbies like us.

Offline Beeright

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 11:21:45 pm »
I have a Ranch in the central hill country of Texas, we have just put in 12 hives 2 months ago. in the brief time we have lost 1hive to wax months, two have swarmed and left in the past month. The two that swarmed seemed to be weak hives compared to the others. Could it have been a weak Queen?
Another question..I have read books and done the you tube thing but how do you know when to add the second hive?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 08:04:24 am »
Beeright,
Was moths are the clean up crew. They do not take over unless the hive is very weak, usually after the bees have moved out. Sometimes they will take over areas of the hive that the bees are not able to protect because they have too much space especially with old drawn comb.
Add the next super when they have drawn out and started to fill 8 of the ten frames, the box is full of bees and you have a flow on.
Jim Altmiller

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 12:11:26 pm »
You probably meant abscond not swarm. Weak hives are at risk of robbing. Once a hive gets robbed they abscond. A robbers screen helps. Easy to make. Also equalising hives helps. Some brood from strong hive transfered to weak hive. They need enough nurse bees to take care of brood. The queen might be fine just not enough nurse bees to increase population.

Offline Beeright

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I have 3 gallon feeders on top of the hives and they have done well. We had a rainy spring with tons of wildflowers this year  but by June they are gone so is this a time to start feeding again or do I wait until early fall

anything