Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 Frame Mediums  (Read 2532 times)

Offline MRBeek

• New Bee
8 Frame Mediums
« on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:21 am »
This is my first year beekeeping and I have been learning a lot since last fall when I decided I would give it a try this spring. I bought some used 10 frame equipment from a very reputable gentleman that lives near me and it was enough for 1 full hive, 2 deeps and 2 mediums. I wanted to start with 2 hives so I ordered 4- 8 frame mediums to use as my second hive. The frames are wooden with plastic foundation and all equipment came from Mann Lake which I was very happy with their service. My question is why when I put the frames into the hive bodies 9 frames are needed to fill it completely. If I only use 8 there is about 7/8 in. on both sides if I center the frames. If I put in 9 frames there is not much clearance and when the bees start putting wax on the frames it will be very tight.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: 8 Frame Mediums
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »
If you are going to use mediums for brood, what I do if there is too much space with 8 frames I take a 3/8 or 1/2 in board cut the exact size of the side board. tack it too the inside on one side. 3 or 4 small nails that don't go through both pieces, or you could use screws. The bees do draw thicker comb for honey storage than they do for brood. You could leave as is, and take the little extra time to space them evenly all the way across. hope this helps.  d2

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:20:40 am »
Measure your frames. The side bars that act as the spacers should be 1 3/8 wide. If they are, then your 8 frame box may be built too wide.  13.5 inches is the nominal size for an 8 frame box that will leave bee space on either side.
 Some companies build them slightly wider...  I dont know why... it is annoying and causes brace comb.

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:11:39 am »
Go ahead and put 9 in.  Shave a little off the end bars if you want a little extra space.  Mann Lake's 8 frame boxes are 14" wide which leaves 1 3/8" left over which is the width of another frame...  Brushy Mt., Miller Bee supply etc. make theirs 13 3/4" wide.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »
What I've seen building 8 frame equipment is there is no set standard for the width.
Depends on where you get it it can be 13 3/4 or 14 inches wide.
I wish they would set a standard the the 8 frame width.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 09:47:02 pm »
I make all my own boxes. I can get a 1"x10"x8' rough cut hemlock for under $5.00 I will probably cut some larch saw logs next spring and hire somebody with a portable saw mill and it will be cheaper yet... And I have the added bonus of the correct dimensions... So I can make boxes any size I want. As for a standard... Make you're own and standardize.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin