Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You get what you ask for but?  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
You get what you ask for but?
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:54:59 pm »
 Going to be worried all winter. The cluster was high. I could see it visibly through the upper entrance. Was worried  they didn't start down low. I was told they would probably move down as it got cold. The last 24 hours were in fact very cold.  -25f or more.   I went out this morning and found the cluster must have moved down since I don't see any bees looking through the upper entrance. Of coarse now I'm worried they have all died. I'm going to see if I can stick a thermometer in the upper entrance to check for any heat.
You are what you think.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: You get what you ask for but?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:04:19 pm »
I have one of those small look in the hole type cameras you get at somewhere like Harbor Freight. You can stick the cable through the entrance and look around without disturbing them too much.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:33:54 pm »
I need to get one of those cameras then because I have the same fear as Aroc

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
Just tap on the box and listen for the Buss. they will let you know that they are there.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 01:32:08 pm »
I've read some posts by some very experienced beekeepers not to rap on the hive especially when it's cold as it disturbs them too much.....?
You are what you think.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »
I've read some posts by some very experienced beekeepers not to rap on the hive especially when it's cold as it disturbs them too much.....?
doing one heavy knock won't disturb them. now hitting the sides hard enough to shake the boxes is not good.

john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
>Just tap on the box and listen for the Buss. they will let you know that they are there.

Better yet, leave them alone.   You waste their energy doing that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 11:04:00 pm »
Get a stethoscope and listen, no knocking needed.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:24:39 pm »
I have a stethoscope.  Wasn't sure how much I'd hear through the insulation.
You are what you think.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 06:11:16 am »
Short periods of intense cold aren't really a problem - as bees have means of providing their own very efficient insulation.
Extended periods of intense cold are a different matter - but it's not the cold itself which will kill them, but rather their inability to break cluster in order to move onto fresh stores - so that they end up starving in that position.

But - warm winters can actually be worse than cold ones, because the bees remain semi-active and scoff their way through stores, rather than staying 'dormant' within a cluster.  Again, it's starvation which can end up killing them.

Worrying about bees in winter never achieves anything.  Providing you've ensured that your hives are weathertight and the bees have adequate stores in place, then you've done all that you can.  Right now they're either alive or dead (my money would be on 'still alive'). They'll either survive this winter, or they won't.  Worrying won't change a blessed thing. As far as possible - it's best to leave 'em alone.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:19 am »
Worrying about bees in winter never achieves anything.  Providing you've ensured that your hives are weathertight and the bees have adequate stores in place, then you've done all that you can.  Right now they're either alive or dead (my money would be on 'still alive'). They'll either survive this winter, or they won't.  Worrying won't change a blessed thing. As far as possible - it's best to leave 'em alone.

Yes.

What do I know?  What/why do I need/want to know more?  What are my plans of action after I gather more info?

In this case, there is no action that can be taken, so no need to gather more intel.   :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:57 am »
In my opinion, go to the house and fix a hot cup of coffee and don't worry about it until early spring. You can't do anything about it anyway when the temps are low. When it warms up in the early spring and the bees begin flying, you will know how they made it, if they made it. I have lost more hives in the early spring due to starvation than I have in the heart of winter. So for another 45 days or so, relax and enjoy the snow.  :cool:
Rick

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:11 pm »
Place a piece of glass or small inspection mirror next to the top vent or opening.  You should be able to see vapor or frost if the hive is alive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »
I had -32 degrees Sunday morning, today we are +37 and I saw plenty of bees outside several hives today.

I get a kick out of all the worrying that goes on in them southern states about a little cool spell.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 08:27:54 am »
As I've said many times before; "My hat's off to you northern beeks". Our winters are tricky. 60 at ten am, 35 at dark. With the up and down swings in temp I don't think most of us down here ever adjust to cold weather.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:28:17 am »
These are the temperature swings we get in the fall and spring.  In a high moisture area they can be a killer.  Every location has it's problems.  The beekeeper has to learn what they are and how to deal with them or let the bees sort it out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything