Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Catching  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm Catching
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2024, 05:43:25 pm »
I confess to being clueless and all I have is my observations and thoughts. I thought that bees all have a job to do and they are usually busy doing it. This trap has seen activity come and go, have none for a few days then get some again. I've had a crowd around it for the last two days now, starting in the morning and going all day long. I have no evidence that it is the same clan but I have none that it isn't either. I don't think that just hanging around an empty hive constitutes work if they don't have a goal in mind and there is no food or anything else in there to interest them. Today they had what looked like orientation flights and there was some dancing going on on the porch but I don't know what it means just yet. I'm going to guess that there are between one and two dozen bees out there but who knows how many are inside. I'm staying away from them for the most part but today, I did check to see if any were carrying any pollen and they are not. Some did stay overnight last night but again, I don't know how many.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2024, 05:51:39 pm »
You might want to lift the top and look?  Or put your ear to the side and see if you hear a low hum.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2024, 06:33:47 pm »
Would my activity out there scare them off? I have the side windows that I can take off  but I don?t want to scare them off.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2024, 09:39:11 pm »
I wouldn't put more lemon grass oil on while they are still looking though I have before but just being around the trap or putting your ear to it won't matter.  The bees could care less about you being there.  I once had a swarm move in while ten feet away they were putting up a pup tent and there was lots of traffic and a big party going on.  The people putting the tent up didn't even notice the bees moving in till I pointed it out to them.  I have stood 6 inches from the entrance while they moved in.  Remember, I told you I sit for hours watching them trying to catch them move in when I see activity.  I don't think you can do too much to bother them though I used to be pretty scared of that till I had a few swarms move in while I watched.  I am a smoker and so always thought that might bother they and I do watch the wind a little but don't quit smoking and they still come if what I have is what they want.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2024, 10:36:27 pm »
OK, thanks. I opened the bottom box, which has empty frames in it and I can see, and there were a few bees in there and some came out when I opened the window. They either went back home for the night or moved up into the top box, which I can't see into without a ladder and some effort because when I checked at dusk, all activity had ceased. The bee cam is nice because it alerts me to activity and I can watch them live.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2024, 10:55:38 am »
It seems as though this small bunch of bees camped out in the swarm trap last night. At the crack of dawn, they were peeking out the front door and they are flying around the hive a little bit but my nuc hive is not doing much flying at all. We have a cool, rainy day here today.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2024, 03:27:38 pm »
I opened the bottom box, which has empty frames in it
Thats the attractant.  The plastic foundation is sprayed with rendered wax that has a potpourri of smells.  Bees are like other animals, they can get confused with an overload of stimulants.  If I leave my backyard lights on at night some bees will come up from my bee yard and bounce off the lights confused.  It doesnt mean they are checking out the light as a good place to swarm to.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 06:15:36 pm by beesnweeds »
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2024, 03:30:43 pm »
Now that is an interesting thought.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2024, 06:40:21 pm »
Here's an example of what's been going on for three days now. None of them are bringing in any pollen and there is nothing in the hive to eat or drink. First activity this morning was at about 0600, in spite of the light rain and 58 degree temps.

https://rumble.com/v4w0svb-swarm-trap-may-18-2024.html

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2024, 09:05:29 pm »
How many feet is the trap from your hive?

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2024, 09:51:28 pm »
About 80?

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2024, 10:06:30 pm »
Your bees are drifting to the trap.  Move it to another location on your property (preferably further away) with the entrance pointed in a different direction than the hive.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2024, 11:02:49 pm »
Does it matter if his bees are investigating the trap?  Like, that won't prevent a swarm from choosing it, right?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2024, 11:25:23 pm »

No it will not prevent a swarm from entering. Or will it? Lets consider.

Even if Terris' own bees are simply drifting, checking out the swarm box for curiosity alone, does not mean the effort is in vane. As Beemaster2 pointed out in an earlier post, of himself witnessing a swam come 'in' to his apiary from another location, (which were apparently not bees of his apiary). 

Taking that into consideration, even if Terris' own bees do not choose to call the the prepared swarm box home, does not mean bees from another location will not either. Terri may get lucky enough to collect a swarm from a completely different source from somewhere else in his general area, that he may not know about himself? After all, it happened for Jim.....  :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2024, 11:30:54 pm »
The bees are not investigating the trap, they are drifting to it.  I dont know if it would deter a swarm, maybe?  But in its current location its confusing a new beekeeper and a new hive.  I know it's an unpopular observation on this thread but by the video and Terris posts Im fairly certain it's just his bees drifting.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2024, 11:49:34 pm »
You are probably right about the drifting part. Naturally his own bees will check out the bait he has planted,  and this has been on-going for Terri for at least 6 weeks. But he still may recover a swarm in this trap box as described in my last post. And it is 'not impossible' that his own bees will not choose it as well. As gww; Ive personally had it happen (though that was not my goal).

I for one, fully understand what you are saying beesnweeds to your point and credit. While Remembering the ongoing discussion, anticipation, and excitement of Father Michael a few years back when he was in almost the same spot as Terri. More than one of us tried to give him a heads up, in case they left, (which they did). I also remember the disappointment that he faced when they left the area, and the disappointment we felt for him.

The bees, more times than not, will leave in my experience. But we never know for sure what they will decide to do.

I also agree with you that it is better to save them the swarming experience by our good beekeeping methods.. (when possible)...

Phillip

« Last Edit: Today at 12:24:29 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #156 on: Today at 12:12:46 am »
Terri have you found swarm cells in your hive?

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #157 on: Today at 01:02:15 am »
I for one, fully understand what you are saying beesnweeds to your point and credit.
Thank you.
You are probably right about the drifting part. Naturally his own bees will check out the bait he has planted
After the posts and video, you can see the bees hit the landing board and walk right in thinking it's the correct hive.  Terri should at least give the trap a 180.  I guess Im a bit surprised that no other experienced beekeepers on here see it.
While Remembering the ongoing discussion, anticipation, and excitement of Father Michael a few years back when he was in almost the same spot as Terri. More than one of us tried to give him a heads up, in case they left, (which they did). I also remember the disappointment that he faced when they left the area, and the disappointment we felt for him.
I also understand Father Michaels disappointment, but it's a learning experience and we both know beekeeping has a steep curve.  I try and offer a different solution hoping he can increase his chances with a scion in his yard.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #158 on: Today at 02:25:32 am »
Any advice I give is not a counter to any other given but more my perspective on trapping.  I have no doubt that it can be done much better then I do it.  From my perspective and value system.  I am not putting traps higher then I can easily reach from the ground though studies seem to suggest 15 feet might be best. 

I am not putting traps in places I will not naturally go cause it cost too much to travel to keep them baited and checked.  I view substandard traps out better then no trap at all.  I like deeps but will put a medium out if it is what I have with out building more.  I like my traps where I go often or somebody else can see them daily and call me if there is activity. 

In my area, swarms are not a sure thing and you could waste lots of recourses if you don't use what help you can get.  I have 15 out and catch between 1 and 3 swarms a year and have never caught two in the same place in one year.  I don't gather them up and store them but leave then out till a bottom or top rots off and then just replace that when needed.

No doubt people can trap better then me but my bees come as cheap as I have found a way to to do it and I like it better then making splits when you just want to get by but not expand. 

I have read the best ways published by others that had study money to do it like they did it but like all things it depends on your goals.  I do have a couple of traps on my own place that I have not baited or looked at in a few years cause I would have to get on a four wheeler to look at them and it is just easier to keep up with the one in my real back yard then in my woods and places I get to by car naturally.  My advice is always based on what I like to do and not saying some point is wrong but more some points would not change my way cause it is good enough for me.  Every one has to be the judge of what is best for them.  I am just down right cheap and have found good enough for my need.  My advice is given with good will but in no way some mandate as many are smarter then me and have excellent points being made by them.

Some of my bias might be that my very first bees came from my back yard before I even had bees.  I live in the boonies but you just never know what might be around you.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:43:01 am by gww »

anything