Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s going on?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
What?s going on?
« on: June 16, 2019, 12:46:48 am »
https://youtu.be/8WN-E256uWo
Went down like every afternoon to look at my hives. Today there was a lot of bees working both hives. I?ve never seen this many on either hives so far. My first thought when walking up was robbing or swarming. But didn?t seem to be either. Video is clear on my phone but when I upload to YouTube it?s not as clear hopefully good enough. Everything look normal? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What?s going on?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:19:04 am »
Looks like and orientation flight to me Nock. No worries there. Did they settle down after a while?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 03:08:32 am »
Looks like and orientation flight to me Nock. No worries there. Did they settle down after a while?
Phillip

Nailed it.   :wink:
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:43:03 am »
The only problem that I see is that front entrance feeder. That could end up causing robbing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:21:25 am »
Just really caught me off guard I guess. Because I?d never seen that amount of bees. I wondered if it was orientation flights. Jim it?s just water. Thanks.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 11:58:20 am »
Nock, you just taught me a new trick. I did not think of using the boardman for a water source.  I did  use the boardman feeders when starting off my hives last year, my first season, in support of food after each cutout. I was not and did not intend to consume any honey last year, which was my first season. When I did late season splits last fall,  I also used the boardman feeders for their support and build up for these Nucs in preparation for winter, which worked well. As well as this spring
for early spring build up. The reason I used the boardman is I could easily monitor when it was time for more food for each individual hive simply at a glance. However, I never feed one hive that I did not feed all. I did not want to start robbing which never happened.  Either I was lucky or I did it right? In fact, I was so impressed with the boardman for this application, I made up about 30 more, using 1x4 and drilling with a special fast cutting hole saw bit from Lowes which fits the jar lids perfectly. The real trick is making the proper size holes in your jar lid tops. This is imperative. I experimented finding the right size bit by finding a bit that would fit into the original holes of the  boardman feeders that I had purchased. I did these above mentioned by an assembly line method, both for the boardman and tops, that I came up with making it fun quick and easy. Keep in mind these were all nuc colonies. Now  these nucs are 10 frame complete hives. So the boardman will be obsolete? I will need to find another method for fall build up if I choose to feed.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 01:39:46 pm »
I was using them to feed then stopped. Afraid I would promote robbing.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 01:49:36 pm »
I posted this last week Nick
We both received the same answer.
You and I are 1 month apart in starting bees this year.
I also thought swarming was happening
Be on the lookout because 2 weeks after I noticed this, I extracted 6 quarts of honey
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

anything