Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey-b-gone SDS  (Read 1691 times)

Offline SwarmCatcher

• New Bee
    • Swarmcatcher
honey-b-gone SDS
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:56:27 pm »
Been having problems with sprayer for honey-b-gone as it dissolves the seals. Been asked by the suppliers to supply a Safety Data Sheet

"If seals are damaged, there is a problem with the liquids in 99.9 % of the cases. Could you please send us the safety data sheet of the liquid you used and let us know the concentration? We can then have a look at it and recommend a suitable sprayer."

Does anyone know where to get SDS from - have emailed Blythewood but had no response
Or if anyone knows what to look for for a replacement sprayer that would be helpful as original spray bottle handle is broken.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
Re: honey-b-gone SDS
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:01:15 pm »
Never used it myself but...
https://www.plus-co.com/products_safety_data_sheet/plusco930-degreasers-and-cleaners-honey-b-gone.pdf
Maybe not the right one as this one says it?s an industrial cleaner. Cleaning bees from the box?

Offline SwarmCatcher

• New Bee
    • Swarmcatcher
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:43:07 am »
Thanks Skeggley,
I had found this but didn't think it could be the same product so had discarded it, but I have looked at it further because of your link and think it may well be the same product.

If it is; its saying its a petroleum based product - which I didn't think could be food safe and therefore used around bees
Label says its "made from all natural oils" - I had been presuming that meant essential oils along with a carrier oil which i was thinking would be some sort of vegetable oil rather than a petroleum based oil - I am going to have to stop presuming ad start thinking more.
So digging a little more deeply
Mineral oil is derived from petroleum but is completely safe and natural - how a product extracted from oil can be considered safe to consume I'm not sure, and as for natural well I guess arsenic is natural to

NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM), 64741-65-7 is sold as "MINERAL SPIRITS ODORLESS" by Penta Manufacturing Company

Wiki amongst other things says
"Naphtha (/ˈn?pθə/ or /ˈn?fθə/) is a flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture.
Mixtures labelled naphtha have been produced from natural gas condensates, petroleum distillates, and the distillation of coal tar and peat.
In different industries and regions naphtha may also be crude oil or refined products such as kerosene. Mineral spirits, also historically known as "naphtha", are not the same chemica"

It says its manufactured by https://www.plus-co.com and they look as if they produce on behalf of smaller businesses.

So the more I look at it the more I am thinking this must be the same product  - not going to say I am not a little disappointed, after all I had been telling people it was a mixture of harmless essential oils that we were spraying  :embarassed:. Going to have to change that to "natural oils" and not get into it too much   :tongue:

I know that when we have a small spill of it in the back of the van or when working in a confined space it becomes quite an unpleasant environment leading to a desire not to be there and you wonder whether its doing any permanent damage - hopefully not (and probably not looking at this SDS if its the correct one).
If you get a bit of spray on face it feels like its burning, so again you wonder whether when using it it could be causing damage to surfaces - don't like to use it around rubber (based roofs) and plastics (windows) for that reason.

If anyone knows more or has any thoughts it would be good to hear them especially on what to look for as a replacement sprayer, I'm hoping gloria can help me out with a straightforward upgrade on seals for there small handheld profile pro 05

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:06:24 am »
Looking a bit deeper I doubt they are the same product as the manufacturer states that their product is indeed an industrial cleaner.
https://www.plus-co.com/products/plusco930-degreasers-and-cleaners-honey-b-gone.html

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:28:52 pm »
I had the problem with the beequick top melting when some spilled through the sprayer end. Good stuff though.
Phillip
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:01:10 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline SwarmCatcher

• New Bee
    • Swarmcatcher
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 09:57:26 pm »
Skeggley - good find - I did do a quick search but didn't find that this morning - somewhat disappointed tho as I sent an email of to the sprayer manufacturers referring them to that SDS. Going to have to let them know its not the one now.  Hoping they can test a sample to identify why its damaging the seals so that we can get something resistant to it.

Offline SwarmCatcher

• New Bee
    • Swarmcatcher
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 10:01:57 pm »
Phil I wonder whether some weakened the trigger mechanism on ours - I just presumed we had not been careful enough with it - but was surprised to find it broken when we went to use it as it we keep it stood up in a box with all regularly used tools. I had presumed we must have stood on it without realising it - been cursing my workmate ever since :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:08:36 pm »
Very possible SwarmCatcher. Beequick has a depressing type sprayer on the bottle, similar to ladies (pump type) hair spray. My wife uses freeze n shine. This beequick container or sprayer device did not fail in my experience, only leaked when tilted and did melt the top enough to disfigure the top, allowing some of my beequick to be lost. Just a suggestion, perhaps you may try putting some in a hair-spray rig and see what happens?  Some of the hair spray has some pretty stout products inside, may be worth a try?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:20:42 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 12:46:56 pm »
A note from the chemist in the crowd.  there is food grade, and not food grade Mineral spirits. 

I build hardwood cutting boards as a side business I hope helps in retirement.  I have been told by numerous customers that my boards put Boos Boards to shame, which I must admit I take as extremely high praise.

Anyway, the sealer for all wooden cutting boards and butcher blocks is in fact food grade mineral spirits.  I soak them down with it 4-5 times before finishing with a product that contains both Beeswax and Mineral spirits to get the nice final polished look.

so, by and large mineral spirits are not a health problem...but...that does not mean you can spray it on your face (I know accidentally) and not suffer a reaction.  try the same thing with o face full of lime juice and see how that goes.

I think it is about as safe an approach as exists to clear a box.  You are going to kill some trying to do it by the shake and brush approach...

All that said.  Their are 2 very different products out there, both are a tad "persistent on objects shall we say, but one of them (cant remember both names right now) is utterly horrid smelling, and if you use it I advise a set of clothes that this is all you will ever use them for henceforth...and your wife will  NOT be happy if they come in the house.  the other one does stick around, but the smell, while not utterly pleasing, is not bad at all.

I "have" both...but have avoided using the super stinky one...yea it smells that bad.

BTW...ALWAYS pull the excluder before using either (yes this is from my own experience).  All you will get if you don't is a box full of supremely angry bees!  They won't be cleared, and you will have a mess on your hands as the moment you pull the fume board off, they are coming out right in your face.