BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Langstroth Long Hive

(1/10) > >>

capt44:
Here is a picture of a Langstroth Long Hive I built and just got setup.
It holds 31 deep frames and has 2 follower boards.
I have 4 inner covers made and in place so you don't have to open the whole hive at one time, just sections.
I moved a colony of bees from a 5 frame Nuc into the hive a few days ago.
I figured they would be clustered where the old hive was located but no they accepted the long hive right off.
I have 2 inner covers with feeder wholes, 2 3/4 inch, for a quart jar type feeder.
For the entrances I drilled 1 1/4 inch holes at an angle up to deflect rain.
I also mounted the hive to a 4x4 treated post on each end set in the ground 24 inches.
This hive will be extremely heavy so I set it up permanent.
While it was in the wood shop I kept calling it my casket.

Maggiesdad:
Nice!

NeilTheCop:
As a newbie beek may I ask, what are the advantages/disadvantages if this type of hive.
It would seem that this is far more practical than stacking boxes on top of each other?

Eric Bosworth:

--- Quote from: NeilTheCop on August 03, 2015, 10:18:24 am ---As a newbie beek may I ask, what are the advantages/disadvantages if this type of hive.
It would seem that this is far more practical than stacking boxes on top of each other?

--- End quote ---
Advantages I see are lack of lifting boxes and always working at a convenient height. You never have to worry about boxes that you can't reach. You really only need to lift 1 frame at a time that is pretty nice.

NeilTheCop:
With so many advantages why is it not used more?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version