Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feed feed feed  (Read 1832 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
feed feed feed
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:06:37 pm »
well, i let one get away from me.  i went through my hives today and sure enough one starved over the last couple of weeks. 
the good news is that one of the two that appeared queenless last inspection now has brood. i guess it balanced out.
anyway, if you're down here in the south it's time to keep a close eye on them.  all my other hives have a lot of fresh nectar in them but that could change over night between now and the clover flow.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: feed feed feed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:44:31 pm »
My one hive has been going gangbusters. Yesterday when it was sunny and warm I just couldn't believe the pollen they were bringing in. I've been feeding off and on for around three weeks or so. It's amazing just how fast they find it too. I wanted to go in my hive today and look at that q cell but it was cloudy, breezy and in the 50's most of the day. When it did break off and got in the 60s people started coming by.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:14 pm »
I changed to sugar syrup and pro health 1-1 and a protein patty a couple of days ago.
I won't go deep into my hives until the first warm days in March.
Word of warning, the weather man here said that the data he is seeing is we're suppose to turn cold again around the 1st of next week.
I'm in Central Arkansas.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:54:44 pm »
same thing here captain.  it was around 70 this afternoon. 
i'm pleased with the amount of brood i'm seeing and i finally saw some drone brood. 
gary, there is a good bit of pollen and nectar but the build up burns through resources fast. 
one thing i saw that i didn't like was varroa on a handful of workers.  i randomly pulled some brood and didn't find any, still not thrilled about it, though.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »
Mine were doing orientation flights yesterday afternoon (77°F). They are also bringing in lots of pollen so I figured nectar as well. Probably ought to check on them though...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
Glad to hear your winters are almost over!
hoo Ry!
jay

even or last cold spell was 60 degree's

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:01:58 pm »
doug, i would think your major flows would be coming on pretty soon down there.  we've probably got a month to six weeks before the first major flow really kicks in.  this time last year it seems like the fla. and la. beekeepers were already hiving swarms.
jay, i can't count winter out yet.  we had highs near 80 this time last year then it turned cold in march.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:32 am »
doug, i would think your major flows would be coming on pretty soon down there.  we've probably got a month to six weeks before the first major flow really kicks in.  this time last year it seems like the fla. and la. beekeepers were already hiving swarms.
Yep they are definately bringing in the pollen... I put my supers on around the 1st of Feb. Just starting to see some flowers blooming. You are correct on the early swarming although I haven't heard of any from my friends just yet. Hope to do my inspections this weekend to check for cells...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ