Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tater Question  (Read 3881 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Tater Question
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:37:48 pm »
I plant potatoes (red) in my garden every year but this year I got different results. The plants looked healthy, bloomed, and matured but when It came time to dig, most plants had no potatoes on them. None. I usually get buckets full. The only thing different was that I planted them about two weeks later due to the excessive spring rain. Any ideas what may have happened?

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Tater Question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »
sounds like the fertilizer you used was too high in nitrogen, it causes all plant growth and no roots.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »
sounds like the fertilizer you used was too high in nitrogen, it causes all plant growth and no roots.

G3

Potatoes, like peanuts and other legumes (clover, trefoil, vetch) put nitrogen into the soil.  If you use a high nitrogen fertilizer on such plants they will not develop the root nodes (potatoes, peanuts, etc) that the plant uses to put the nitrogen into the soil.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:28:25 pm »
Should I not use fertilizer when I plant potatoes?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »
use something like a 6-12-12, or even lower nitrogen. A soil test will tell just exactly what you need, spuds need a certain ph also (can't remember exactly what)

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:23 pm »
Steve
I been trying to figure this out .  I planted 4 rows of red taters . I planted the first two rows earlier than the last two rows by 3 weeks and like you it was due to a lot of rain. The first two row made buckets of taters and the last two rows made vines. The last two rows I dug 4 weeks after I dug the first two rows. I got 15 golf ball size taters from the last two rows.  Got 4 -5 gal bucket of taters off the first two rows.  All four rows planted side by side.........go figure.......John
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!