Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bushkill Bee Vac  (Read 105324 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Bushkill Bee Vac
« on: March 27, 2008, 11:14:21 am »
I've had a bee vac design in my mind for almost a year now but never got around to putting saw to board.   Finally spent a day and got one built.  I always found the bee vac to be one of my essential tools, but seemed to have issues with emptying the bees into a new hive.  So the main principle of this bee vac is not to have to dump them when done. :-D  You can see all the details here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:17:15 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: My newly designed bee vac
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:01:27 pm »
A problem I had with my sliding door was rolling bees and squishing them through between the floor and the back wall. Thought about putting a little plastic lip or something on there. Never did. I am going to redesign the inner box.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »
This looks really good. I have always wanted a bee vac so maybe now I can make one. Does the vac have to be any particular power?
Judy

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:36:11 am »
You don't want it too powerful. Just enough to barely pull the bees off the comb.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:36:36 am »
Does the vac have to be any particular power?

It has to suck strong enough to break the bees grip on the comb.   Mine says 5HP (peak).  You should always have a by-pass in your vac so that you can adjust the suction at the hose.  Too much suction and you can kill the bees when they hit the inside of the vacuum.
Just like the saying, "Driving fast doesn't kill you, it is the sudden stop that does".
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:01:48 am »
Rob, looks good, does it work for honeybees also?  :-D

I could have used this the other day on a cut-out I did that had old unusable comb, and comb that was spray painted red. Great idea, I think that it could work for honeybees, looks like it anyway. Have you tried it yet? :-D Great job!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 02:58:58 am »
I would love to have one of those. And sure could have used one on that last cut out. But with my hubby being a firefighter It looks like him building me one wont bee till the cows come home and that will be a while. I love the design you have done. So you have the frames already in the boxes as well. I would love to have the plans for it but like I said before getting hubby to build me one will be forever. I still dont have my kitchen done from going on 3 years ago. And my other turkey grow out pen is not done as well as the other quail cage is not built. It would be nice though and I like the idea of just being able to bring them home and letting them settle and go to bed. And check back later on them.  Yup would be nice. (hubby wont let me use his table saw) So maybe one of these days I will get one. Looks nice  and easy.

Angi

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:45:09 am »
Great setup Robo,
Might encourage me to o build one.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:41:28 am »

Have you tried it yet? :-D Great job!

I hope it works ;)

Haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Have a removal all lined up,  just waiting for the weather to co-operate.

Though this hasn't stopped people from wanting one.  I already have orders, but told them I won't ship any until I test it out.  I guess folks find it more practical than that pyramid hive :shock:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:23 am »

Have you tried it yet? :-D Great job!

I hope it works ;)

Haven't had a chance to try it yet.  Have a removal all lined up,  just waiting for the weather to co-operate.

Though this hasn't stopped people from wanting one.  I already have orders, but told them I won't ship any until I test it out.  I guess folks find it more practical than that pyramid hive :shock:

Let us know how it works out, it looks awesome!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:33:53 am »
Rob, wow!!!  You have put alot of thought into this project and you did it!!!  Yeah, that is one impressive looking system,  :) :) :)  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 10:46:10 pm »
How much would you charge to build one. All it is is a top and bottom right. TO place on the 10 frame hives right? How about a nuc one? Anyway I am trying to figure out how I am going to work out getting one.

Angi

Offline mudlakee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:26:18 pm »
Ok I want one also. I will come and pick it up  Tony

Offline magnet-man

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • Honeymoon Apiaries
Re: Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:42 pm »
My wife uses a shop vac hooked up to her industrial surger to suck the thread into the thread cutter. Ended up hooking up a lamp dimmer to control the noise and suction. Might be a good idea to keep the noise down when collecting your own swarms by your house. The less the neighbors know about your bees the better.

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 11:36:31 am »
I love it,  gonna make me one too,  I am going to try the Dewalt cordless vac though so it becomes a bit more portable!

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 10:20:54 am »
Oh my goodness.
That looks like a box of VERY angry bees just waiting to happen.
Reverse it and it's a firehose of angry bees!  :-D

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 10:52:05 am »
Rob, didn't see any plans for your new beevac on your site, any plans on putting one up? or did I just miss it. I'm not creative at all. Basically wood building impaired.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 11:15:08 am »
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

I personally can not say enough good things about Rob's bee vac design. We have built two and they work fantastic. We have collected 35 swarms this year, all with the vac. We just vacuum them straight into the hive body. Very few bees get killed.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 11:22:36 pm »
I used my bushkill vac last week on a hive in a crawl space.  same exact designed but I probably killed 1/2.  at first my vac was not enough then i taped the hose joints and it picked up some more suck!  i guess it was too much.  i was using an eight foot corrugated hose on the sucking end, same on the other.  is there a location to buy smooth hose in GA steve?  how's that queen doing?  and what are doing with all those swarms?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 11:33:29 pm »
You need a way to adjust the flow. You want just enough suction to pull in the bees.

Sucked up three more swarms today.

The queen is doing great.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything