Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding Your First Super  (Read 12970 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Adding Your First Super
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2019, 10:16:07 pm »
Helene,
I use reducers year around. Too many problems with robbing without them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Helene

• New Bee
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2019, 04:59:57 am »
Thank you Jim for the tip regarding entrance reducer.

Blackforest beekeeper,

I agree that there seem to always be some food for the bees in Australia (but my knowledge and experience are very limited!) In my garden alone, there are lots of flowers for them, and I am in a semi-rural / very green suburban area - so no doubt there are some sources of nectar and pollen (although we have had a terribly hot and dry season). I do see them come home quite loaded, however the population is not growing. And beekeepers here definitely use some sugar syrup at times.
Blackforest Beekeeper, what else do you suggest then? I don't think I could even get another package of bees at this time of year (end of Feb is the end of Summer here). What else could be wrong with them? They do look healthy, the brood pattern is nice and compact (but small) and there is one or two heavy frames full of honey. But no expansion...

Thanks!

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2019, 08:16:19 am »
may they be reducing their broodnest already for fall?

There may be something wrong with the queen. or do you have diseases around? varroa?
in your case it might be good to have an experienced beekeeper from your area take a look.

how many frames do the bees cover? if there is no hard winter bees can overwinter on quite small numbers, really. if they are healthy. e.g. if I had one deep full of bees at this time of sun?s cycle (like you have now), they overwinter really easily. you could do it with half a deep, really.

anything