Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee Question About Wedge Top Bars  (Read 2378 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Newbee Question About Wedge Top Bars
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »
I'm putting my frames together today, and I can't find anywhere that specifies how many nails I should use to nail the wedge back into the top bar.  It's probably not crucial, but I was just curious how many most people use.  Also I'm nailing my wedges in sideways, because I'm using them as foundationless starter strips, if it makes a difference. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Newbee Question About Wedge Top Bars
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 07:09:49 pm »
When I turn mine sideways as starter strips, I glue them and use 3 nails (brads from a nail gun, actually) to get the glue to form a tight bond.  I've thought maybe it was a mistake to glue them, since there's no going back when I do that, but that's what I've done in the past.

I have sometimes been accused of overdoing things, so let's see what others say.  Good question.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 07:16:34 pm »
You should credit Tolkien for your signature.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 07:31:43 pm »
I just use 3 nails. I leave the nails heads sticking out just enough to be able to pull them out when I have to clean them up.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:44 pm »
I just use 3 nails. I leave the nails heads sticking out just enough to be able to pull them out when I have to clean them up.
Jim

That's probably the better way.  Glue is probably going too far.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:52:01 pm »
3 nails also.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:56:21 pm »
I use only medium frames and foundation so the requirement isn't much.  That being said I use a hand stapler with at least a 9/16 staple (only 2).  The top bar gets completely fill in with wax and I have never had comb come off the top bar.  Foundationless could be a different story because the bees don't run the comb down onto the bottom bar.  I think though if I wanted to go foundationless I would get grooved top bars and use tongue depressors.
If I wanted to glue them in I would use 3 dabs of hot melt and no other fasteners.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 01:40:02 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.  I was thinking something to the tune of 3 or 4 nails, but wanted to be sure.  After putting them all together, the last thing I'd want to do is have to redo them all.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything