Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie having fun.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline roddo27846

• New Bee
Newbie having fun.
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:10:09 am »
Hello all,
I live in NC and used to keep bees in the 70s and early 80s as a hobby. Back then the only problem we had was reducing swarming. Things have certainly changed.

I bought two packages and one nuc this spring. Lost one of the packages which came with a drone laying queen. Requeened it, but they were too weak and SHB took them down. The other two are strong going into our mild winter. I have been purchasing equipment and hope to have several more hives next year.

Thanks for adding me to your group.
Rodney

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Newbie having fun.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:23:31 pm »
Welcome Rodney.  Hopefully forum members can help you with the new challenges.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I lost my first Nuc the way that you did. The queen had deformed wing virus. Replaced the queen but it was too late. SHB took it over.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »
NC is a fairly large state. Where in NC are you located?
Keeping bees in the mountains is different than on the coast. You will get better info if you narrow your location in your profile.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything