Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Back into the Bees  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Poppers

• Brood
Back into the Bees
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:44:50 am »
Poppers here, (Grand kids have called me for the last few years) and I had several hives before Y2K. My work called me away for long periods of time and I could not take care of them like I felt they deserved. I wound up selling them to another keeper. I started back this year with a captured hive out of a water meter back in May. I captured another hive in late July from another water meter at an elementary school. My 3rd came 2 weeks ago from a fallen rotten tree trunk.

I saw the downed tree and hive when dove hunting. I built a bee vac and collector box before I could attempt the capture. I was impressed at how easy it was to collect the bees and comb. I really debated about retrieving them this late in the season, but figured I would do my best at trying to keep them healthy and alive this winter. Wish me luck. I will feel real bad if I lose them this winter.

I still consider myself a new beekeeper and have been researching and reading during any free time.

I really enjoy working with the bees and do my best to educate people about the wonders of this special creature. Little League baseball parks with all of the snow cones is a great place to draw a crowd of kids. Stand by the trash can and you catch bees all day long. Once you get a few kids gathered, here come the rest. you can teach them not to swat at them, teach the best way to remove a stinger, show how the bee venom is pumped through the stinger, etc. The questions from the kids are endless. Fun times.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Back into the Bees
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:04:51 pm »
Have you had success getting the queen with the bee vac or can you easily find and capture the queen?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mcgyver74

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:43:38 pm »
Welcome!  Good luck with the new capture :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Enjoy your new hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Poppers

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:45:59 pm »
I have only used the vac on 1 capture and just happened to see the queen and captured her. Once I finished vacuuming bees, I placed her inside the capture box for the ride home. When I released the bees into the hive I released her as well. I was concerned about her being vacuumed up. I think I got lucky spotting her before she got sucked down the tube.

Poppers

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:54:13 am »
I am wondering if this is the norm for those that use a bee vac.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:13:52 am »
Welcome. :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:29:43 am »
I am wondering if this is the norm for those that use a bee vac.
Only if you are lucky. Most of the time when I use a bee vac, I never see the queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:43 am »
What then is the plan of action?  Wait a few days to confirm eggs, hope they raise a cell or just add a cell or queen.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »
I make sure they have eggs and young larvae, preferably their own. If not I add a frame of eggs. Just in case the queen did not make it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

anything