Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive intruders encased in wax  (Read 1354 times)

Offline theBeeLord

• New Bee
hive intruders encased in wax
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:22 pm »
I was talking to my father today - his father raised bees more than 50 years ago in Eastern Europe - and he was telling me of how they got their hives ready for winter - anyways --- he mentioned that mice would sometimes get in a hive, sometimes they'd ruin a hive, but sometimes they bees would sting the mouse, kill it, and enclose it in wax - and they'd find it in the spring.
so - here's my question -- what is the strangest thing you've found in your bee hive?  if you have a picture to post, that would be awesome.  his stories just got me curious - and as this is my first year keeping bees, i don't have any good stories yet.
thanks in advance.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: hive intruders encased in wax
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:48:21 am »
Actually not wax, propolis.  Mice are common enough.  I never saw anything bigger, and smaller stuff usually gets drug out the door...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: hive intruders encased in wax
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:54:25 am »
I found a dead mouse on the landing board last winter, that's the only intruder I seen besided the SHB's.

Joe