Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Aussie  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Milo

• House Bee
Another Aussie
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:45 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm in Northern Victoria, Australia and have recently been watching the bees crawl all over the red bottlebrush tree (callistemon) at my place.

It's got me thinking about getting a bee hive. So I'll be lurking round here reading up.

Cheers,

Milo

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Another Aussie
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:26:56 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Fair warning, beekeeping is very addictive.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:02:55 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:52:50 pm »
Greetings
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  Jim is right - beekeeping is very addictive!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:18:24 am »
 :cry: I think it's too late.

I have stuff on order...

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »
:cry: I think it's too late.

I have stuff on order...

LOL
I know exactly what your going through, have been thinking about getting a hive for years. A member on a hunting forum Im on started a thread about getting into beekeeping, that was about 3 weeks ago. I installed a nuc in my first hive Monday, Sat I'm off to pick up 2 more from another member of the same forum.
Have found everyone more than helpful so far, the beek I picked up from a few days ago spent an hour or so going through things with me, more than happy to take calls to help me if I have any questions/problems and recommended I take pics and send them to him if Im unsure about anything. Set me at ease a  little more when he said that most new keepers that struggle are people that have never owned more than a goldfish or cat. In his opinion most people who have experience with livestock pick it up reasonably quickly, just like cattle or sheep they need feed, water and shelter to survive. The better the quality of these the better they do, disease and pests are obviously different but the principals are the same. Recognising when something is wrong and taking action to correct it.

With the 2 nucs Im picking up Sat I will be spending a few hours going through hives before hand. A few hours travel from home and have even been offered a bed for the night if I don't feel like driving home in the dark. I'm short a base board and lid to set up a third hive. Being a few hundred km from the nearest supplier they are purchasing new for me this week so we can install the nucs before I transport them home.

Enjoy the journey Milo, I certainly am.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:33:20 pm »
Sounds like you are in good hands.
Bee sure to look for 5 frames of bees, 3 frames of brood.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin