Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Beeswax water" - question  (Read 1309 times)

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
"Beeswax water" - question
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:33:01 pm »
Hello all - last weekend I successfully harvested a modest amount (but my first!) of honey from my two hives.  Because I only had a few frames, I used Linda Tillman's crush method, set it in the strainer bucket and it went very well.  I read that the beeswax could be "washed" with warm water and fed back to the bees.  So I covered the beeswax with warm water, let it sit, then strained the wax and kept the water.  Nice honey aroma, but thin, not syrupy. I wanted to check with you guys first, before I fed this to the bees!  Has anyone done this?

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
Re: "Beeswax water" - question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »
If it's thin, it won't do the bees much good nutritionally, but the scent of honey will bring them to drink the water.  If you want them to use a particular water source (to stop annoying neighbors, for example), honey-water is a great way to train them to go to the spot you want.  

Just be aware that it will grow mold much faster than thicker syrup.  And make sure if you put it out that there are enough ways for the bees to climb back out so they don't drown.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
Re: "Beeswax water" - question
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »
Thanks!  That's exactly what I need to know.

anything