Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive goes from nice to mean.  (Read 2602 times)

Offline jeeper038

• New Bee
Hive goes from nice to mean.
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:44:04 pm »
I have a hive that was a swarm from early June. I have had them up by my house in full sun and they have not been doing as well as my hives back in our woods. So I decide to move them to the woods with the other hives. The entire time I have had them they have been very nice and I had stopped smoking and sometimes not wearing equipment. Ever since I have mooved them the have been very mean when I check on them. It's only when I open the hive that they start to attack. I just went in yesterday and found the queen and she is laying really well. Does anyone know what happened to these bees?

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Hive goes from nice to mean.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:30:35 pm »
One possibility is that they are simply more numerous now.  More populous hives hive more workers to dedicate to defense.

Another possibility is that they started having to defend against robbers when you put them with the other bees, which makes them cranky.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:55:17 pm »
The swarm queen was probably the old queen from the hive they swarmed from.  Being long in the tooth, the new hive you have could have finally superceded that older queen, and the breeding between the new queen and some bad apple drone did not produce gentile results.  Just another quess . . . . .
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:35:58 pm »
they are probably having to protect their hive from other bees now.  you are just one more intruder.  they may also be protecting their stores in general.  if you liked them, give them time.   reduce their entrance so that they have a better chance against robbers.  see how they are after honey season.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:46:45 pm »
One possibility is that they are simply more numerous now.  More populous hives hive more workers to dedicate to defense.

Another possibility is that they started having to defend against robbers when you put them with the other bees, which makes them cranky.

I'm with Bill here and BTW, use the smoker before you open your hives and have at least a veil on standby, opening hives on a consistant basis without smoking first is simply masochistic IMHO.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:10 am »
Just curious...do you have skunks in the woods?  Any scratches or clumps of dead bee carcasses out front?  That will do it....

Some causes of meanness: genetics, size, predators, weather, queenlessness, dearth, robbing.

Rick
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:09 am »
fall. more cranky as fall approaches as well.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:52 pm »
Just curious...do you have skunks in the woods?  Any scratches or clumps of dead bee carcasses out front?  That will do it....

Rick

I've seen the same as Rick - skunk signs and bees turning mean.  Raising my hives helped with all but one, and that one had to be re-queened - I think it was a case of bad genetics, and that's something I don't want being bred into my bees..  Re-queening seems to have helped in the case of that hive.  They were downright mean and would follow me for quite a distance.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:03:59 pm »
It's got to be some sort of stress.  I'm gonna guess it could be robbing but it could be any of a number of things that has been mentioned.  If it is robbing smoke all your hives and take off all the covers they that way if robbing is occuring when your working the hive there won't be any robbers as they are having to protect thier hive from other robbers.  Worth a try anyways.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline golddust-twins

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 09:29:25 pm »
August is the time of dearth in many areas.  This is when robbing is sure to occur.  Skunks as Scadsobess stated will turn you bees mean.   If they are queenless they can get real nasty.   Always go prepared with smoker and veil.  I don't smoke my bees but always go to the hives with a lite smoker just in case. 
                                  Corinne

Offline jeeper038

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:32:16 am »
I have seen skunks up by the house so I assume they are in the woods. But I have not seen half eaten bees or any scratches by the hives. I am leaning toward robbing or a dearth. It's possible they are just mean bees, but what are the odds they become mean the day I move them? Thanks for all the help.